My nephew is pooping his pants, regularly.

Does anyone know anything about this? My 11 year old nephew, POOPS his pants when there is an available bathroom nearby. His parents are no longer together, but have a pretty civil relationship. Is anyone experiencing this? It's disgusting.......he shits his pants and sits in it and it dries up and dried up shit balls end up everywhere. Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• After reading my description, I know it sounds awful, but no one tries to make him feel bad about this either. We just want to understand why he is doing it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Is there anyone that intimidates or abuses your nephew? This is often a defense mechanism to ward off anyone that threatens them. I can't say this is the problem, just one problem that you may wish to look into. A good therapist may give you some clear answers.

This can also happen when there has been stress or trauma in his life. When did he start doing this?
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:45 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I think it is extremely abnormal for an 11 year old to be pooping in his pants. A few thoughts are, mental problems, acting out because of the parents divorce or a something traumatic happening to him. I would take him to a Doctor or Therapist.
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 12:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• He has been doing this for a while. His grandmother does talk smack about his mother, but my sister (the mother) is not abusive. She is too lenient if anything. I am very concerned and his dad who has primary custody is not taking him to a psychologist. My sister has him a lot too...........it's like they don't realize awful this is. THIS IS NOT NORMAL! Please any advice that you can offer will not go unused. I'm about make my presence and influence as the aunt known. I know this isn't normal and something needs to happen.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have done research and the condition ENCOPRESIS comes up.............does anyone know anything about this?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• How does he act other than the pooping. Does he seem normal in other areas? Has anyone in he family ever talked about this? If so what do they say?
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 12:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I went to school for child psychology and the two suggestions I have is the best I can tell you. It needs to get taken care of. He is either afraid or just stressed out. Something is hurting this child, whether it be a person or an event or both. He needs to talk to a professional.

ENCOPRESIS - I would think that with the divorce being current and just the overall situation this would not be what he has... But you just said he's been doing it for awhile. Can you give a general time line from when he started doing this and when his parents split? How was the relationship between the parents before they filed? Was it fairly civil or did it get worse as time progressed?
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:56 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• He has been diagnosed as ADHD. Otherwise he seems like a normal boy. He likes girls, likes to fart (gag), he just seems normal. Although, he seems afraid to participate in competitive sports.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I really don't know why he would be doing that other than either he can't hold it or he wants attention. But I wouldn't mean to make him feel bad about it but I would have to make him clean his own mess. He's old enough and I make my little boys and even my husband clean up after themselves with many different things and he would be treated no differently.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:58 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Does he act ashamed of himself and these acts or do they not bother him?
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:00 AM on Feb. 21, 2011