How do u wean your bubba of the brest and what age do u think is sutible??

Lisa_7777

Asked by Lisa_7777 at 12:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You start lowering the number of times each day the baby is breastfeeding, and you can start weaning them at 11 months so that they are done around a year.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 1:17 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• ok well my bubba is 10months and loves boobi and her bottle of water she is not all that interested in solids she likes solids now and then but no9t all the time please help how the heck do u mothers wean them lol
    Lisa_7777

Comment by Lisa_7777 (original poster) at 1:22 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i dont wanna wean yet but want some tips for wen i do and wantto wean her
    Lisa_7777

Comment by Lisa_7777 (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• cut down feeds if by 12 months then replace with a cup of milk..I weaned my boy @13 months. He nursed @ night and in the morning, the hardest was night but I set up a routine and stuck with it but just added his sippy cup instead of nursing and he did amazing..I got lucky!! Make sure theres no big milestones either once your ready to wean.GL!!
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:47 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• DD is only 10 months, so we won't be weaning for quite some time! The WHO recommends breastfeeding until at least 2 years of age, so I'm hoping to get that far. After she's about 18mo if she wants to wean, I'll let her. At least until that point, I will continue to encourage her to nurse.
    jessihernandez

Answer by jessihernandez at 2:48 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I plan on self weaning, but hope to make it to age 2. My other kids all weaned at between 10-13 mo. Mostly because I started to offer milk in cups vrs just breastfeeding. I plan on sticking to the breast and skipping any milk or juice supp till he is around two. then we will just see where it goes from there.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:04 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• For us, the best way is to allow child to self wean, and if you do it that way, you don't need to do anything. If, at any point, you decide you want to initiate the weaning process, I'd suggest dropping one nursing session per week, until finished. If this is before 12 mos of age, you will want to replace that session with formula, in a bottle or cup.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• What age is suitable? Not before 2 yrs :-)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• The World Health Organization says two years minimum. Best way to wean? Do nothing. She'll do it herself. (As with sleep... best approach is hands off.... all of them learn most easily when you let them do it.) If you really want to lead, drop one nursing a week till gone. Before age one, replace with formula. After age one, however you like.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2011