Do you think that letting a child become obese should be considered a type of abuse?

If a child becomes obese without anything medically wrong to make the child that way, do you think it should become a possible abuse? I was watching Dr. Phil a few years ago and watched a show where a mother was constantly having the wrong kinds of food available for her daughter to eat in the house. The mother was also telling her daughter to eat constantly. To me that seams to be a type of abuse. WDYT?

dragonqueen

Asked by dragonqueen at 1:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Yes I do. You're setting your child up for medical problems, social problems. If you intentionally feed your child prossesed foods, sugary snacks constantly then you should be held accountable. My kids would beg for candy, coke, fast food and in moderation that's fine. It was my job to instill good eating habits and set the example for them. I didn't want my children to be ostrasized at school or end up with diabetes.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• it is a form of abuse imo.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:14 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• That would depend on the situation.  I think that there HAS to be things out there that we don't know about yet.  Maybe in fact it is something medical but it just hasn't been discovered yet.  I do think that feeding your child junk nonstop everyday all day is very close to abuse.  I see on here a lot about education and getting the parents to realize what they feed their kids.  Um, not ALL parents are oblivious and not all care. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I've seen children like that in public places. The store, my kids' school, in my neighborhood... It's terrible. Those poor kids are usually spoiled rotten and will be socially inept. They will have to live with that their entire lives, because it's not likely that the parents' habits will change. Let's face it, it's their habits and not the children's.
    Christiansmom44

Answer by Christiansmom44 at 2:29 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My friend who I have been close with for 4 years over feeds her daughter. Talk about crazy living. She is way obesed herself and keep giving her daught food when she ask. My friend is 4 10 and weighs about 350. Her daughter is in elementary school and looks like she is the teacher. The children makes fun of her but my friend has not gotten it yet. the child crys if you send her to play in the play ground. my gf don't see anything wrong and refuse to stop buying her mcdonalds everytime she ask.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 5:33 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Starving a child is abuse so I think letting them become obese to the point that is endangering their lives, is abuse!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I believe it is abuse. You are willing to over feed this child and cause it many health issues you should not be allowed to take care of kids. My oppinion. It is bad enough that we spoil our children, but something of this nature is wrong. When I was growing up all you saw was children playing outside now you hardly see them. To busy with these games and your over feeding them. Wow talk about abuse.
    dubewife

Answer by dubewife at 5:23 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• absolutely a form of abuse, and neglect, if the parent took steps to keep the child active they would burn off the food or not have time to eat it, and if the parent doesnt buy the food the child cant eat them at home, so yes , def abusive and neglectful
    Asmash

Answer by Asmash at 9:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Absolutely. Allowing a child to be obese is setting them up for many, many, many medical issues. Heart disease at the top of that list... How can anyone think that causing those illnesses in a child is not child abuse?
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Considering they are teaching dangerous eating habits and the child could die from it, yes. I think the parents should be warned the first time and taught how to feed the child properly then if they still refused to help the child eat healthy then abuse charges could be used.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2011