Beware...

I would never tell anyone not to go to an institution, but I would like to explain my experiences and what I have learned so that others may make the right decision for themselves based on what they have learned. I made the mistake of not completing my research before entering into a University of Pheonix online program and I regret it because I lost 1500 dollars of grant money. Out of my research and personal experience this is what I have concluded and I hope that the information may help someone.

1. I withdrew 2 weeks into the program due to information I had recieved about the insititution (defined below) and the advisor did not do her job and disenroll me when she was supposed to. After recieving a call a week after the process was supposed to have been completed (as the advisor told me it was), I explained to the woman that I had withdrawn and she only said ok. I did not think anything of it until a week later I got another call from my academic advisor, again "reminding" me to post my work and keep up attendance. I told her again that I had withdrawn, she again only said ok. Red flags went up and I called the advisor I had talked to about withdrawing. After she had previously told me the process was complete, she changed her story and told me that I was unable to withdraw and had to continue with the classes. I ended up recieving a WF for the course because she did not do her job.

2. A friend of my mom's graduated from University of Pheonix with an associate's degree recently, recieving a 3. something GPA. Because she could not complete her bachelor's from here (they did not have the program in a bachelor's), she tried to transfer to finish her degree. Bc she is a working adult that did not have the means to relocate she could only apply to institutions in the surrounding area. Not one of the institutions would recognize a degree from Pheonix or accept any of the credits toward a degree.

3. After learning this, I called employers in my area to see what they look for in their aplicants. I discontinued my search after I talked to 3 employers. Two out of the three said they would never hire a University of Pheonix graduate based on their experience with graduates who did not know their material coming out of institution and other reasons they did not disclose. The third employer only said that they would fairly evaluate each of the applicants and choose based on their resume.

4. After I withdrew they claimed they were sending my grant money back to lender whether or not I transfered. They said that if I did not continue with their institution I would lose the money. After five months of fighting with them about it, I finally got my refund check. I think it is odd that they claimed they were sending the money back but yet they still had it after so long.

Someone else may have had a good experience with this institution and that is great, however that was not the case with me and I wish that person the best of luck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in

• thanks for the heads up
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 1:35 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Wow! I will certainly pass this along if I hear of anyone looking into University of Phoenix...seems like they are all over the place now. That's too bad. I'm glad yours got set right in the end.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have heard nothing but negatives about University of Phoenix.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• When I was in HR, I never interviewed candidates from for-profit universities.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• they are blood suckers, this is why new regulations are being pushed to strengthen the Higher Education of 1965 which requires for-profit colleges to provide “an eligible program of training to prepare students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation”
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

Next question in
Sociology majors!!! I need your advice!

Next question overall (Beauty & Style)
What is