How do you dicipline your child/children when they don't pick up/clean their room when asked?

I gave my DD all day to pick up her toys and she refused so right before bed time her room still wasnt clean so I locked all her toys in the closet for a week. It worked for us and now i only have to ask ONE time and she does it.

L0vingMy3Girls

Asked by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:41 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids don't get to do anything else until it's done. No tv, no video games, no playing with friends, etc. We don't ever have a problem.

Answer by missanc at 8:24 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• A tap on the butt got my kids in gear.  Or a reminder.  Depending on what was going on.  If they were getting distracted by the television or something I would turn it off and ask them to pick up their toys again.  If they were being defiant, tap on the butt.  Now, I only ask once and it gets done, no butt tapping or reminding needed.  Yayy for you for finding something that worked!  WHOO HOO!  You deserve a bump!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• im with the OP i put her toys in my gargae and made he earn them back one by one.
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 2:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My daughter picks up all the toys she plays with throughout the day at night. if she doesn't clean it up in an allotted time limit I don't read her her bedtime story for that night. It works for us!
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 2:08 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• For now, telling my son that he'll get flicked if he doesn't pick up, and then counting to 3 (usually, I only have to count to 1), works. Occasionally, I vary the punishment, and he will get put on time out in his crib (which he has never liked or used, so eventually we just found out it made a good time out area). He really dislikes timeout. He normally only has to stay in time out for a minute. After that he quickly helps us do the cleaning.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 4:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• They lose television and/or video game time.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I just tell him ill throw them away if not. If that fails time out.
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 3:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have taken toys and given them to goodwill. That seems to work.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2011