Not like breastfeeding?

I am having my fourth little one and am debating whether to breastfeed or not. With my first two I breastfed for over a year. With my third about two months into out I was hospitalized and my little one was started on formula. To my surprise I lived formula feeding and I came to realize how much I disliked breastfeeding. I feel like a hypocrite because I do not want to this time. I am such a happier person when not breastfeeding. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you are not happy than it would only make the transition into having a newborn around alot harder, i wouldnt do it , and i am a bf mamma! im still bf my 13 mo old, but if i wasnt happy doing it i wouldnt, remeber HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE!
    Asmash

Answer by Asmash at 9:59 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• It's only for a year and thebenefits to the baby and yourself are tremendous. I would still breastfed but maybe change some things around so that I was hapier. Maybepump a lot of milk and do som bottles with breastmilk in it.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• You asked "what would you do?", so I will answer as if it were me. I would breastfeed. Even if I didn't like it, my child deserves the absolute best possible nutrition to start his life off with. I know that many may say that I am being judgmental by saying that. But for me and my family, my kids health needs come before my comfort. I have breastfed 5 kids, and there has been times where I did not like it. About two weeks ago I suffered from mastitis (not the first time). My son is 10 mo. It would have been easy for me to quit, but in the end, the continuing benefits for my son, out weighs the temporary pain and discomfort. I go through fazes where I really just want my body back, but I chose to have him, and I feel it is my obligation to choose the best for him.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I think you should do what you feel is best. I breastfeed my oldest for about 4 months and I hated it. I was stressed all the time and when I switch to formula I felt more relaxed and so did the baby. With my other 2 children I tried breastfeeding and only lasted about 3 months with each. If you feel that it will be easier and better for everyone then I would just go with formula. You already have a lot of stress in your life and you don't need to add any more. Also, my mom had 4 children and she onlyu tried breastfeeding 2 of us. When she had her 3rd and 4th children she didn't even try because she knew it would not work for her.

What every you choose make sure you are happy.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I breastfed my first two for about a year and a half each. By the time my third baby was almost here, I DID NOT want to breast feed again. I was not looking forward to it and I actually dreaded that part after he was born. However, here we are a year later and I did it! I made it through and I feel good that I gave him the best that I could and I never have to do it again!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• *Maybe pump a lot of milk and do some bottles with breastmilk in them.*
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:33 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• A little is better than none! I would bf at least for a couple months..you might like it again if not then go with formula. Either way your still going to be a loving mommy and thats ultimately what matters :)
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Because you asked "what would YOU do" I am going to say that I would breastfeed. Even 6 months gives your baby the best start in life.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:50 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I wouldnt breastfeed if your going to start and resent your baby and hating him because he is getting his nourishment from you. if you can get past the resentment and hate of it then by all means breastfeed.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 10:03 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• well....breastfeeding was NOT for me. To each their own. but I knew for me personally it was the right choice to formula. My son is healthly, my daughter is healthly.

Do what is best for you. & that little baby.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2011