What should I read? (other than Twilight?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Just for Fun

• The Secret Life of Bee's by Sue Monk Kidd. I just got it in the mail from Paperbackswap.com and am starting it tomorrow! I wanted to read it before seeing the movie.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:41 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Yes, the Twilight books are good - so go ahead and read them - they will only take a few hours a piece to get through (simple writing style). Otherwise, I read a great book called The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry. About a somewhat messed up woman who goes back to Salem when her aunt shows up missing. Pretty good read. I'm trying to tackle Jane Austen's books now, but unless you are really patient and not at all tired, they aren't high on my recommendation list (I know - not a very "girl" thing to say - we're all supposed to love Jane Austen).
    Would love any recommendations you have - I'm looking for my next read too.
    jillibean1

Answer by jillibean1 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• I didn't actually mean to post this anonymously. Thanks for the recommendation jillibean. Its not that I dont want to read twilight. I already read it and I knew that would be one of the first things people would recommend. :)
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Oh - funny! I've come to the conclusion that every woman under the age of 40 has read the whole series!
    jillibean1

Answer by jillibean1 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• what is twilight?
    Jessnpat2

Answer by Jessnpat2 at 12:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Whew! I barely made the cutt off....I'm 42.....LOL
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Try the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. The first book is 'One For The Money'
    There's 14 of them and they are soooooooooooo funny! I've never laughed out loud while reading a book until these. They are pee your pants funny! Google Stephanie Plum....you'll crack up on all the people....over 40...lol....that love these books.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:24 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• i've read a lot of memoirs lately. my faves are:

lone survivor by marcus luttrell- true story account of his mission in afghanistan and how he survived behind enemy lines after all his fellow SEALS/friends died in a fire fight w/terrorists. great story, whether you're for or against the war. this guy is amazing!

a long way gone by ishmael beah- true story of a boy soldier in africa. he tells of his life before, during and after he fought. a real eye opener. i think a lot of people forget or just don't realize the suffering these people have gone through and continue to go through!

cont....
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 12:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• the glass castle by jeannette walls- her story of growing up poor, sometimes homeless, with an alcoholic father and free spirited mother. although, surprisingly not depressing at all. i haven't met anyone who didn't like this one!

shared courage by michelle keener- a great book by a marine corps wife telling of her experiences of being at home while her husband was at war. as a marine wife myself, i think everyone should read this book! it's so good at expressing what it's like for us! so many people don't think about the families left behind! great read!

i guess i'll stop there. all these books are great!!!! i promise! =)
    pugmama

• p.s. all these books are $5-10 on ebay!
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 12:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2008