Have u ever turned down a marriage proposal from a man ?

jewelry

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 3:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Relationships

• Yep. Twice. I'm very satisfied though with dh :-) woohoo

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• yes
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:08 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes, I have.

1) asked (multiple times) by a guy that I liked but knew I didn't want to marry / spend my life with, so I turned him down, some nicely, some not so nicely (no means no...)
    2) asked by a guy and we got engaged (for a very short time - very bad idea). Ended it when I found out he was cheating, but knew in my gut (just wasn't acknowledging it then) that I should have ended it before - we got engaged for the wrong reasons and weren't really compatible.
    3) married to my dh for 18 1/2 yrs now - and he actually did NOT propose - at least in the traditional sense. He just sort of casually informed me that he would have to take leave when I was supposed to transfer (this was over a yr out, but he was going to transfer a couple of months before me), because that way we could have a great honeymoon.... The conversation got interrupted at that point, but from then on, it was just understood we were getting married lol
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:14 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I turned down a guy that I dated for nearly four years and WHEW am I glad I did. I am soooo happy with my hubby
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:05 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Heck yeah! One time a girl friend of mine told me that she thought that once she "finally" got asked she would have to say yes (she was very pretty too by the way). I said, "WHY on earth would you say yes, if you didn't like the guy?" She said," well, if the guy asked, i'd probably have liked him for a while, and who knows if I'd ever get asked again." So, I told her that I'd been asked (at that time) 5 times, and I hadn't said yes yet. She said, "yeah, but you're really pretty," to which I replied, "A, so are you, and B even if I wasn't "really pretty" as you say, I am really stubborn, and I wouldn't marry some guy just because he asked, if I didn't want to".
    Am I married now? Yep. and i made my DH "ask" me a few times until he got the wording "right" before I would say yes (and I really wanted to marry him, but I was too stubborn to let him get away with not giving me what I wanted).
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:00 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes, I was just 18 and knew I wasn't ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I've turned down 2. I was briefly engaged in my 20s, big mistake there.
    then I turned down another proposal a few years later, said yes to my DH's proposal.

then when someone we both knew came clean with his true feelings and asked me to marry him while I was engaged to DH,
    I said no. ;)
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes. I should have married him and I truly regret I said no. I ended up marrying my ex instead and we were divorced 12 miserable years later. I'm now happily married, but I definitely see a lot of similarities between my husband and guy #1. I wouldn't have my oldest 3 kids, so I guess I don't regret how things happened, but my life definitely would have been easier.

Answer by missanc at 9:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I've been engaged 4 times, married once, divorced once. I hadn't turned any of them down, but I ended each relationship for very good reason.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:37 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes. My husband asked me to marry him about a year before we got engaged and I said no. I wasnt ready. I was just out a serious relationship really, and recently divorced and wasnt ready to jump into another marriage that way. He was patient though and waited and we married in 2006.
    I also turned down my first love. I dont know if that was my best decision or not? I was young though and really confused at the time about life in general. I am guessing I made the right choice then because if I hadnt I wouldnt be where I am now.

Answer by gemgem at 12:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2011