What is the best way to get my son to stop taking a bottle at bedtime? He's thirteen months now, so its time for him to stop, I know...

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 11:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cio...just take it away. worked for us
    Anonymous

• I feel if he still needs the comfort of the bottle just give him one with water at night. My son is 27 months and we are on day 3 with no bottle. He needed the comfort of the sucking at night to fall asleep. I think you and your son know best about whether he still needs it or not.
    EtiesMommy

Answer by EtiesMommy at 3:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I did a gradual weaning of the bottle. I had my son using a sippy cup at 6 mths old but only with baby food. He still had all of his bottles at this time. When he turned 11 mths old and was eating more baby food I started taking away his morning bottles but he still got an afternoon and bedtime bottle. I finally got rid of all day time bottles by a year old and kept the nighttime bottle until he turned 15 months old. It took one week of no bedtime bottles and soothing him or distracting him and now he doesn't care. He's never went to bed with bottle or cup. I just decided at an early age to not start this as a habit. You do what you feel is best for your child. They are all different, I do know the older they get the harder it can be. My nephew was 17mths before he got weaned and up until a month ago still had to have a sippy in his bed. He's four now.
    Josie395

Answer by Josie395 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I dunno really. My son is 2.5 years old and still uses his bottle but not at night. We got him to stop at night by switching his milk to water slowly (basically we watered down the milk) until it was just water and he stopped wanting it after about a month. However, like I said, he still gets his bottle during the day.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2008