In 2011,why do we still have dry counties in "the land of the free" ?

drinking beerit seems like some parts of the country still have the prohibition mindset.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 4:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Why does everywhere need to have alcohol? I don't understand. Dry counties are FREE to choose to be that way. And people are FREE not to live them in them if they don't want to.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:23 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• First, let me say that I have alcohol in my house, so I'm not a teetotaler or anything like that.

However, the thing is - it is the land of the free - the people are free, at the national, state, and local government level, to make / lobby for / petition for the laws that they want. If a county is "dry", then that means that the majority of the people who vote there choose to make it so - and they are "free" to pass that law - just as a neighboring county is "free" to say that you are allowed to drink there.

Just like they're free to pass noise ordinances, free to pass restrictions on parking, etc (everything from the "minor" stuff to, say, free to pass laws against killing someone, having sex in public, etc...) A society that is completely "free" - meaning no rules - is anarchy. Free in the sense of the land of the free is free for the people to govern. I suggest, if you want to drink - move or change the law :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• No, it is the land of the free. If they choose to limit what outsiders and locals bring to their county, they are free to do so.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:03 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I think it's stupid. If people want it they will go to the closest county that sells it. Then they help that county instead of their own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Same reason people can't smoke wherever they want to!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:35 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I would imagine that the decision has more to do with local resources and the waste of money and manpower when it comes to alcohol consumption. In some smaller communities alcohol can be a big problem and their local police just end up being hired babysitters for the drunks instead of having time to deal with other community issues and calls for help. It's up the the county to determine the cost to the taxpayer to have alcohol in their county.

That said, I'm glad I don't live in a dry county.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• You are free to propose the county board change the law, and you are free to move. Part of being a "free land" is EVERYONE gets a say, not just you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:00 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Mostly because the area that is dry has enough "Baptists" to keep it out. Once it was made law they have to vote to change it. Some places just have not gotten around to it.
    It's not quite "dry" but right now the restaurants in our city cannot sell alcoholic drinks. They voted on it years ago and failed but are now getting ready to vote again and they think it will pass so we can have some decent restaurants in the city. For us, I think it's a financial move. People know it can be a good money maker for the city.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:45 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• @ tootoobusy, that's exactly what I was going to say.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 5:21 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• In GA, we have plenty of problems, but it seems that the biggest controversy every year in the legislature is, pass a law that lets people buy alcohol on Sundays!
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 6:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2011