baby food.... so much to learn!

my daughter is a week shy of six months. she has been through the different types of cereals.

can i start jar foods? if so, is it better to start with fruits or veggies? also, when can i give her juice? when do i wean her off the cereal?

the ped just told me that there is no right or wrong time.... so i'm clueless.

rachelsmommy78

Asked by rachelsmommy78 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, you can start jar foods. I started my son at about 5 months. We started with veggies and after he had tried them all and had his favorites, then we started fruit.

I didn't start my son on juice until he was about 8 or 9 months. They can only have 4 ozs. a day. I dilute it in 1/2 with water and usually let my son have an 8 oz sippy of watered down juice a day.

You don't have to wean her off the cereal. In fact my ped told me to keep giving my son the cereal mixed with the veggies and fruits at least twice a day. He said since the cereal is vitamin fortified I would be sure my little guy was getting all his vitamins every day still. We did this until he started table foods.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• well i kept with the cereal until he was 12 months, but he also ate other foods as well. start out with veggies, and to get her used to the taste, mix a little bit into her cereal. make sure you wait a couple of days before you give her something knew, in case of a reaction, you know what caused it. as for juice, i t hink i started juice at 7 or 8 months...but make sure you water it down.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My doc said the best time to start with baby food is between 4 and 6 months. I don't know if you plan on making your own baby food or buying store bought, just make sure you start her with stage one baby food. My daughter is almost a year and I'm still giving her the cereal, I don't think you really have to take them off the cereal until they are able to eat real cereal.
    Tams_jade

Answer by Tams_jade at 12:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I have heardif you start with the fruit they will learn to like the sweet taste of breastmilk/formula and the fruit and may never learn to like the veggies.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• At six months there isn't much you can't feed your baby, my kids never liked the jar baby food and refused to eat it, they ate whatever we did, I just put it in the blender with a little formula. Now that my kids are older they will eat anything.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2008