Did you really make money enough to survive with your home business?

I am not talking about a business you created. I am talking about the MLM networking like Scentsy, MK and so on. Did you make enough money to pay your bills or did you find that you spent more on inventory? I have done a few and can honestly say that I maybe could have made some money if there were not so many of the same consultants selling the same things.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 7:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• gotcha. yeah...I had a hard time with it
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 7:33 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My husbands income can pay for all our bills but what I earn can pay for most if not all of them as well. I look at my home business as supplement so I put it in saving, help with any "extras" we may want, plus pay bills. I don't have to have inventory so that's never really a problem but I do put money into my business too. I think you have to have a home business that you're really into and can put time in in order to make it work. Avon, Scentsy, Party-lite, Gold Canyon and Mary Kay are all really big around here so it's hard to find a customer base when you have to compete with 50 other people selling the same thing. There isn't anyone else around me that sells what I do so I have the market to myself. Yes there are other candle reps in my area but I have found that the candles I sell seem to be liked more than others, that's helped me as well.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 8:08 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My spouse and I both have home based businesses, and, while we are not rich, we are comfortable.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:35 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Mine is new so it's still supplemental. The 2 women in my upline are the primary incomes to the best of my understanding. Of course, I'm not privy to their personal finances.

It is absolutely possible but you have to be smart about it. The company I represent doesn't require that you have stock for sale at the party and there are opportunities galore to receive free product as incentive which means you don't need to shell out non-stop for inventory. Trust me, I've fallen into that trap believing that spending my own money hand over fist was what I needed to do to grow my business.

Find the right company and product so it's the best possible fit for you. There are so many opportunities out there for you that I'm sure you can find one if you want. :)
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yeah I am good now though. I have my own photography business that is really picking up. I was just curious
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• With direct sales companies....nope....most weeks I was lucky if I had $20 after I bought supplies, samples, demos and brochures.

With the Carpet Cleaning business we have it's grown by leaps and bounds already this year. We did roughly $32,000 last year, but we finally landed several big commercial contracts and stand to make more than triple what we did last year!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I personally do not. It's just extra money for me. I earn enough for convention including travel & spending money.  That's my vacation.  I don't work the business the way I should. However, there are many consultants with my company that do live off of there income. They have worked the business & built their teams. If you'd like more info on Jordan Essentials, just let me know.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Mom2Jack04 did you have to invest alot or did you start out small and build? I think that is great that you will be tripling your income this year.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 2:34 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• To answer the original question I did several and when I worked my business it did pay off. I never did enough to make what my uplines did but I was happy with what it gave me at the time; time out of house, extra dispoable income and chance to travel.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 2:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I guess I have learned a lot though from doing these direct sales businesses. I learned you don't have to have a full inventory to get started. Me with my photography, I just get the word out, snap a few shots and then my business grows from word of mouth. I am getting my lights in this week for my studio and I found cheap ways to do backdrops and so on. Its all about taking it easy I guess and not pushing.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2011