How to Lower Heart Rate

I'm in my 34th week in pregnancy and have had a high pulse from the beginning. My blood pressure is amazing still but I'm concerned about my pulse. It started out at about 90 in my first trimester, increased to 100 in my second and now is usually between 110 and 120 resting! I don't have the option of exercise because of preterm labor but I was wondering what I could do to lower it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

MommyMegO2011

Asked by MommyMegO2011 at 7:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'm 32 weeks and I went into the hospital at 30 weeks with the same problem. Resting it was 135 and when I got up it shot up to an unbelievable 160/165. The emergency room doctor said it was good that I came in cause beating that fast I would have for sure had a heart attack. The highest it got was in the hospital and out was 175. All the nurses came running in the room and all I did was turn from one side to the other. They were like we'll turn you just don't do anything until we get the doctor here. Long story short they had to prescribe me lopressor it's a medicine that basically controls my heart rate. When I'm late on taking it I can feel the difference. Make sure you get it prescribed because it has a different effect on everyone. With me it drops my blood pressure, potassium, and iron levels. So they tell you foods to keep them up. Plus it could effect the baby, it didn't effect my babies heart rate.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 7:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I don't think there is much you can do to control it yourself. As PP said, there are meds that can be prescribed. What does your doc say? (I'm a pediatric nurse and worked in high risk OB for years, p.m. me if you want.)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:58 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Beyond medical intervention all I can suggest is meditation. Getting yourself as relaxed as possible might help. That said, if this hasn't been addressed already by your doc, it should be. Best of luck!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2011