What's up with those contractions

i've been having contractions since last monday,when i lost my mucus plug. Nothing happened then,i was hoping for the weekend,still nothing. Since yesterday they've become really painful,like bad menstrual cramps,with lower back pain as well. It hurts and it hurts,they stopped yesterday for a half of the day and started contracting again at night. They were 10 min apart,some of them were 5 min apart and then back to 10 min apart. Why aren't they getting close enough to go to the hospital? I will be 40 weeks in 6 days,so i am so ready. Don't know what else to do. I get happy to every contraction,hoping that this is it.

crouse3

Asked by crouse3 at 8:23 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Your body is preparing which is frustrating when you are so close. It's a process though. Cervical thinning and dilation takes time. Again, frustrating.

Hopefully you have an appointment with your health care provider very soon so they can give you a better idea of what's happening.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:28 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'm 32 weeks and my doctor told me three in ten minutes come in. So I don't know why its not time for you especially if you've already liost your mucus plug.
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 8:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• The contractions are doing something, even if you aren't in active labor yet. They are doing all the beginning work of birthing the baby. It does take time. You'll have your baby in your arms before you know it. Try not to let early labor discourage you. Just keep telling yourself, these contractions are not fake, they are real, and they are really helping me get closer to having my baby!
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Your almost there good luck
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2011