i'm scared of needles and dont want anydrugs but my step-mom says she gave birth with none and it sucked she told me she wishes she had gonna some (srry dont know how to spell the name) wut do u think i should do?

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• get the epidural..trust u won't care about the needle then
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• having the Epi isn't bad. It helps a lot with the pain. It stings a bit but only takes about 5 min to administer. It is really your choice. i have a fear of needles also. it really did help relax me with the pain
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 12:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Im sorry but Im going to be honest with you it sucks regardless! LOL until you have that baby in your arms and then the memory of the pain fades quickly. Dont let another womans opinion influence your decision. I would have killed for an epi but thats what I wanted and no one could tell me different. If you want to go natural study breathing techniques heavily and you should be fine and worse case scenario is its too intense and you get the drugs. No biggie. Tell your stepmom thanks for your input but I think Im going to try it this way and if she continues to push just say Ill tell you what next time your pregnant you can decide . But say it sweetly so you dont seem like a hormonal b ya know Good luck
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• well you'd stil have to get a needle stuck in you so you can have an IV....and trust me by the time it's time for the epidural you won't care about the needle, you'll be begging for it. unless you have a very high tolerance for pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• If you don't want drugs then don't it will hurt like crazy but lots of women do it naturally. I had an epidural and am also afraid of needles but the contractions hurt so bad I hardly noticed the needle.
    Tams_jade

Answer by Tams_jade at 12:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Well as a nurse I can tell you that the needle is only in you for a few seconds and then pulled out. All that is left is a thin bendable plastic tube for your IV and/or for your epidural. This tiny prick of pain will be far less than what you will experience without it.

Me I am a wimp, I am not afraid of needles so I am going all out with the drugs! GIVE IT TO ME!

My mother is just like you. She is terrified of needles and she never wanted any drugs. She gave birth six times all naturally and says that it is not that terrible. She says that it hurts but she focused on other things than the pain to get her through labor and delivery.

Just wait for labor to start and then wither way you choose won't be wrong. Either way, it is the right way for you.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• If you want to have a natural child birth then that is your decision. I have five children and had them all without drugs. It can be done. I am not afraid of needles, but I really didn't want the epidural because of where they put the needle. My husband is an attorney and one of his first cases was a man who was paralyzed after getting an epidural for back surgery. I know that this is rare, but I would rather experience the pain of labor, which ends with a happy result, then take the risk of being paralyzed.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 1:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• im DEATHLY affraid of needles..my biggest scare is getting my IV put in..that hurts the worst for me..but i get them to numb it(sometimes with a needle, or topical) when you're in That kind of pain , you wont even Feel the epidural..just the tiny little numbing needle that barely feels like a pinch. you only feel pressure afterwards..i swear by the epidural..(lol)
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I really wanted to go natural, but I just couldn't relax, so I got the epiduural. See how things are going for you and maybe try to go without (I plan to try natural next time). I didn't really care for it, so I'm not going to tell you that it's great.

Make sure the nuses know how you feel about needles. I'm not afraid of them, but I didn't want to see any of the epidural stuff, so I didn't look (which my husband later told me was a good idea).
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I am terrified of needles. I mean pass out at the thought of one. I got the epi though. It was so worth it and by the time I had to get it I was so not thinking about the needle!
    jc4duckie

Answer by jc4duckie at 2:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2008