What else can I do to help my dd 7yrs. old to read and understand better?

She is lazy and never wants to do school work it is a drag for me to get her to do her work...ugh!
I try but all I get is her dragging attitude...ugh! or she'll cry bc she doesn't want to do it.
what would you do?
Thanks Ladies for helping me out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• when I had trouble with my son learning to read his teachers an I had him reading 20 min everynight. in the beginning I would do the reading then I had him do it... to this day he still does it everyday. GL
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:29 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have always found that a reward system works well. For instance, in our home, if your homework is done by 4 and no one cried or lost their temper, you get a flower to add to your vase. If at the end of the week you have 3 flowers, you get an extra half an hour of tv time. If you have 4 flowers you get an extra half an hour of wii time and if you have 5 flowers you get a coupon for a date night with mom. Which includes a trip to the mall and usually an ice cream. Good luck
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• for the reading issue, try putting the english subtitles on her fav movie or any movie that she watches. it helps with mutitasking and she will be able to hear and see the words which may help her with reading. As for the hw thing, just take your time and try not to make it seem like it has to be done asap. she might need some time to unwind from school and keep an upbeat attitude when doing it. And if all else fails, wake her up ealier to finish it in the morning, my parents only had to do that a few times lol
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Try and make her school work a fun thing. Maybe don't do all the work at one time, but break up the work so it seems less overwhelming to her. Set goals for her if she reads so many books, then do something special with her. Plan a day of going to the movies, or to the playground. Praise her for trying. After she reads a book to see if she understands, try asking questions about the book. Sometimes making a chart with stickers may help motivate her to want to do well, and then if she has so many stickers let her pick out something she likes at a store. Hopefully placing the chart where she and others can see her achievements will help her to want to continue to do well.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Have you ever heard of the Pizza Hut Reading Club? If we read so many books or for a certain amount of time, we got a Personal Pan Pizza! Of course, for me, it was just an added bonus, because I LOVE reading. Do you read to or with your DD? Have you thought about reading a big chapter book together? Like you guys read a chapter together every night or something? I was read to a TON as a kid, and I still love reading with a passion to this day. My DH, who wasn't read to as a child, is just now getting into reading for pleasure(and he's 30!). Just a thought!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• she is crying probably because she would rather watch tv right? my sonhad trouble with this in pre-school, so before he started kind we took tv during the week away and filled his shelves with all types of book we knew he'd like, at age 5 he like the dr suess, and easy readers, soon he went into reading heavier books, we even put comics in the bathroom as "reading material" (he'd be in there for 20 mins doing his business some days!) he is 8 yrs old now and he is not even the slightest bit interested in the tv, he reads his comics and chapter books, and even writes his own short stories! im not against tv, but if you take it away during the week her only option would be to use her brain, and the more she uses it the stronger it will get and the laziness will disappear . i promise! good luck!
    Asmash

Answer by Asmash at 9:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Tell her if she doesn't do her homework that you'll have to call the teacher & tell her that she refuses to do it. This worked real well for my DD.

If you don't read with her everyday, she will not be up to par with the other kids. It's very important that she reads at least for 15 minutes each day. You can also do spelling tests with her at home, that helped my DD out a lot & she actually likes doing them.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Find out if she is having trouble reading, comprehending or seeing. All of those can affect how she feels about herself and her abilities. The work could be too hard for her and she isn't sure how to verbalize that. Help build her confidence. Read with her for 20-30 minutes a day.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Find something she likes to learn and read about.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2011