Potty Training.

My little girl, almost 3, refuses to use the tiolet and pees in her pants constantl. Does this mean she;s not ready or is she just being stubborn?

Christina_18

Asked by Christina_18 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She probally isn't ready yet. don't force her, keep trying but don't force. I had a babysitter try to force my son, he did pee no problem but when it came to sitting he would cry and throw a fit, he was terrified of the toliet because this babysitter forced him to sit there. I got rid of the babysitter after that but it took me forever to get him to get over the fear he had.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Oh Thats simple enough.
    Christina_18

Comment by Christina_18 (original poster) at 9:37 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• try to stay home for a week, move plans around so you do nothing for a week. take off work if you work. when she wakes, put her on the potty. set the timer for every hour, set her on the potty. if she doesn't go, set it for every half hour until she does go. when she drink something, have her go 15-20 minutes afterward, not resetting the timer unless she goes. use underwear, have her pick it out, and you'll need resolve. more than likely it will be glued to your hand. you must be consistant. when my son didn't want to sit on the potty, i made him anyway. (i trained him when he was 2 1/2, he was in undies in 4 days) if done correctly, she'll be trained in a week or so. at home at least lol. when you go out, it's easier to put a pull up OVER the undies, so you don't have to bring her whole wardrobe with you everywhere you go. just all her undies lol
    have a box of things you do while she sits on the potty. books, songs, ect
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• She has been on pull-ups for a fe weeks now (4). We have tried panties. Should I get rubber pants?
    Christina_18

Comment by Christina_18 (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• gerber has these thick panties that help catch most of the pee. i'm training my dd, she's 2 1/2 and she's in them now as we speak lol. pullups are great for when you're out, or really busy so if you miss it, it won't get everywhere. but if you're paying enough attention, panties are the best. they learn more from those, they can feel the wetness, it helps them understand they're not supposed to pee in them. some girls find it yucky to have pee on themselves and will learn VERY fast lol. if you want, you can get the plastic covers, gerber has them, and put them over her panties, they will help catch the rest of the pee. just be careful when you take them off, as the pee may come out as you take them off, and get a size smaller than what she wears, they tend to be big. i just tend to keep her off the couch as often as i can lol and use the resolve for the carpet if there is an accident.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Oh yes I have definitely used resolve.lol. And thank you.
    Christina_18

Comment by Christina_18 (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Almost 3 she shd be pretty much ready, esp if peeing in the toilet. IMO Try a box of incentives: coloring books, lollipos, small toys , etc. When she goes to the potty let her pick 1 thing from the box. Lot and lots of hugs and praise. Let her pick a few books out at a store and read one to her if she goes. And more hugs and praise. Good luck !!
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• If she's not ready, she is not ready. I had problems with my son who was potty trained for the most part "forgetting" to go because he was too busy playing. After several episodes where I knew it was intentional I did not yell or show anger, I just put a diaper back on him and told him that clearly he wasn't the big boy I thought he was and he never had an accident again.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 22, 2011