First day of Kindergarten....

My son will be starting in the fall. He's excited, I'm terrified. I know he'll do well, but it's me who's having the problem. I have a terrible vision of me sitting in the car crying. How did you get through the first day? I know it's a long way off, but any advice will help.

angiemgiu

Asked by angiemgiu at 9:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh my gosh, I know exactly how you feel. My son is in kindergarten now, but I so remember his first day of school. It is okay to cry, because I did! lol. I walked away in tears, and just sat in my car in tears. It is so hard, but really harder on us then on them..lol. Of course, I did not want him to see me cry but no sooner I walked away the tears fell. I did not think I would or could make it through, but you do. Seeing how happy they are once they start going you tend to feel a peace in knowing it will be okay. Everyday we talk about how his day was in school, and so far everything has been wonderful. If you need a friend or someone just to listen you can message me. I know how you feel, my heart goes out to you....
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My dd is starting in the fall also ...I almost need a zanax just to call the school etc( so I will be a wreck on her first day ) , We are so close and I fell like i"m going to be shipping her away and trusting other people with her well being is a little hard for me! Good luck you are not alone!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• honestly, I don't think it will phase him. I've worked full time since he was 11 weeks old and he has been wit 3 child care providers so this is just another step for him.

I will cry like a baby
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Sit in the car, have a good cry. Then, tell yourself what a good job you've done getting him ready, and what a good job he's done growing and learning.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011