Is it really a bad thing if your baby sucks its thumb?

My 4 month old is sucking his thumb.

ja2010

Asked by ja2010 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IMO,no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Babies need to suck. The thing about sucking a pacifier instead of a thumb is that the pacifier can be tossed out and the thumb can't.

Answer by Bmat at 9:45 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• babies? No. Older kids yes because the thumb has a hard bone in it that can mess up their teeth. However I sucked my thumb until like 5th grade and my teeth are fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• it depends on if the child will stop sucking his thumb when his teeth start coming in and i am not talking about baby teeth were talking about adult teeth.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 10:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• depends on the mom. i'm one of the moms that didn't let my kids suck their thumb. although it was cute, they only had it in their mouth long enough for me to take a picture, afterwards i took it out. i'd rather have them suck on a binky, because later down the road it's easier to get rid of the binky than the thumb. you can't "lose" the thumb, you can't cut the thumb, can't take it away cold turkey. def harder to get rid of. my ds was a binky sucker, my dd chucked hers at 2 months lol. she didn't suck anything.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• All of my kids sucked/ suck their thumbs. It's prob. not the best thing for them to do, but it isn't the worst thing either. And I don't think I've ever seen a baby that didn't at least suck on their fingers. It's just an instinct. If you can nip it before they get older though, I def. encourage you to do it.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 10:04 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Mine literally would throw it. Grandma doesn't like it and forces the binky in his mouth I am not like that.
    ja2010

Comment by ja2010 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• my dd chucked hers at 2 months. if she didn't want it, i wasn't going to force it....but she didn't suck her thumb either. she would put it in her mouth every now and then, it's normal at that age, but i'd just be consistant on taking it out.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 21, 2011