What is the difference between the type or artificial nails?

What are Gels?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• acrylics are made of acrylic. similar to things like plexy glass, and other like products. a gel is softer, and they typically use uv rays to harden the gels.

gels tend to look glossier and softer although they may dent or chip easier the first day, where acrylics can look rougher and be harder to shape. But with a good nail technician you really won't notice the difference in appearances when they are done. caseyd: that would be a type of gel nail then if they are "baking it", they are typically using a uv ray light to do so.

acrylics are typically used for tips because they don't need a pre existing tip to create them like gel nails.

These are the two most common, although there are a few other types out there. Feel free to pm me and I'll discribe the rest ifyou are interested, or want more info.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:12 PM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Not sure what gels are -- but "solar" works great for me -- does not turn yellow if you tan; never breaks; and loooks great forever!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:46 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• If you are talking about artificial..gel is like a top coat they put on your nail. It keeps it shiny and the polish does not come off.

but for manicures I get the gel manicure and its basically a thick nail polish that has to be soaked to come off and its only applied to natural nails.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I love axxium by opi. I describe it like a really think polish and they use a machine that you stick your fingers in and it almost "bakes" it on. doesnt chip fad and looks good for over 2 weeks
    caseyd26

Answer by caseyd26 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i don't care for gels for me bc they "grab" haircolor and turn dingy on me
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:56 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• caseyd26. I love the axxium too! That is all I do with my nails. I dont have to worry about it chipping when doing dishes or just chipping at all. It looks great and lasts..
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• the texture...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 2:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2011