How old should kids be when they start to play soccer with a team?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I started when I was 4, just about to be 5!!! If if its my LO's wish, they will play too.
    My dd is already on a peewee league, shes about to be 4.

GO BARCELONA!!!!!!!!!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• We started my son in first grade and went straight to a team with no experience. It was ok and he wasnt way behind but I wish he would have learned more basics first. My daughter is now in first grade and she spent kindergarten doing after school soccer instruction once a week and now plays on an instructional TEAM once a week, where the same coach is for both teams and literally helps them every step of the week. She also attended a soccer camp last year. I think she has a much better skill set earlier on than he did and I wish I had that chance with my son but he goes to a small private school where the kids just went straight to a school team.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• The coach for instructional was every step of the way he helps and is right on the field with them and theres no ref unlike the league my son plays in,

why is there no edit? grrrr
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My almost 4-year-old daughter starts an instructional team this season with other 3-year-old girls. They will not even have a goalie -- this should be interesting!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Mine started when they were 4.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:11 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My oldest DD was 4 when she started.
    SheIsMySunrise

Answer by SheIsMySunrise at 11:08 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i think most kids start sports at around 4-5 and its a good age because the are learning to be social
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Most organized sports for kids start at 5.
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i personally started playing when i was 3.....my dd started at 3 also....my son didnt start til he was 7.....dd will start on a traveling team this year and she will be 8 when that starts
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• around here soccer starts at 3 and everything else is 5ish. we migh put ds in soccer soon. i always thought it was soo cute to see all the little kids running around trying to figure out how to kick the ball and what direction to kick it in.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2011