my daughter has acid reflux, help!!!

SHE IS ONLY 7 WKS OLD. HER DR. PRESCRIBED HER SOME MEDS AND HAD ME SWITCH HER MILK TO SIMILAC SENSITIVE 3 WKS AGO AND SHE HAS CONTINUED TO SPIT UP SEVERELY. IF U HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS UR ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. i have also tried holding her up for 30-45 minutes after feeding and that doesn't work it even happens while she is feeding and up to 1-2 hrs after she has eaten. i have even tried to thicken it with cereal and that doesn't help.

FallonBlackmnon

Asked by FallonBlackmnon at 12:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I suggest seeking a second opinion from a pediatric gastroenterologist. Some babies have anatomical or other reasons for having the reflux, while others simply do not outgrow the reflux & will require more aggressive interventions, so it is best to cover all bases and be sure about what is going on. Also, many babies, as they get older, can begin to develop food aversions and/or other health issues (like aspiration pneumonias or esophogeal strictures) b/c of the sxs of the reflux and then you have a whole new set of problems to deal with. I'm not saying this is what is going on w/your DD, but better to be safe and know for certain now than sorry later if things should get worse, kwim?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My youngest daughter was a preemie & had it. The medicine did not help so we quit it. She had to sleep sitting in her bouncy seat for the first 3 mo of her life. I had to feed her smaller amounts more often. She would spit up hours after eating. Once she started solid food it got a bit better but still had problems. I couldnt put anything elastic around her tummy area so she wore a lot of one piece outfits. Even at a year, year & a half she would spit up if she had too much liquid and jumped around too much or someone squished on her tummy. Very rarely now it still happens. She's 2 now. She will seem like she just throws up a bit but you can tell she' s not ill.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:55 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• hi, my son did the same forever and ever, the only formula that seemed to help him as from ENFAMIL the most expensive as it would have it, called Nutramigen/orange label. We did all the medicines forever and ever and ever, it got better with the formula as it was the one that caused the least spit up and it finally stopped when he got into the whole milk. Just be patient and ask lots and lots of questions..
    rsgomezii

Answer by rsgomezii at 11:25 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Enfamil AR works well we did this for my son he has servere problems with acid reflux. Also my Dr. told me to add a little bit of rice cereal he said it help with keep formula down and it worked wonderfully.
    lesliekaym27

Answer by lesliekaym27 at 7:01 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• PM me. My Ds had severe GERD & daughter had basic reflux. Sorry you are going through this.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 9:28 AM on Nov. 20, 2008

• A boy I babysit was diagnosed with AR and was put on the Enfamil AR and medications. It didn't work for him and his mom is lactose intolerant and she thought thats what it was. She put him on Enfamil Soy and improved dramatically, with only a couple of bottles. He still has AR, but its not nearly as bad since he's on the soy. His doctor said that he was too young (4months) to be lactose intolerant and that the soy wouldn't work. Guess she showed him huh? Just trust your parental instincts and remember that you know your baby better than anyone. The doctor isn't always right.
    daniellemjscott

Answer by daniellemjscott at 11:51 AM on Nov. 20, 2008