Do I have to contact IRS before filing taxes?

I currently have an installment agreement for 2008 (which apparently is only $50 left) and 2009. My 2010 will be a refund this time and covers most of my 2009 except pentalies. Can I just efile and they will automatically apply the refund to my taxes or do I have to call? Is there a place online to check balances?

Has anyone had luck with getting pentalies waived?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes, they automatically apply the refund to what you owe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i am going through the same thing i owe taxes but hubby owes child support. i am hearing the taxes will come out first then the child support that he back owes will come out. i know he is paying current and back amount. but it will be great to have them both off our back and paid.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i think to be safe you should contact the irs
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• They should just 'garnish' your return. It wouldn't hurt to call them, though.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 12:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• They will take out what you owe from your refund. Just make sure after the fact that your old account was paid in full and closed in their "system".
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2011