Anyone know why

I've noticed a lot of teachers and ex teachers on this site. I would love to hear some opinions on why some school districts seem to focus on everything but education. Why can't our children go in and learn what they need to learn instead of getting moral lessons from a teacher who doesn't have the same morals, get treated differently because they aren't in sports, plus many more complaints of schools in general. I'm sure I'm not the only parent who has these complaints. I don't understand why sports seems to be a bigger and bigger focus of schools each year.

Do teachers get a say in how they run their classroom, or do they have to follow whatever the school/state mandate?

kitchenwitch78

Asked by kitchenwitch78 at 9:58 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in

• IDK if any of this info helps.... I work in a public school system... This is our mission statement... "The mission of the "H" Public Schools is to guide each and every student to thrive in a global society." And we actually hold our athletes to a higher standard, and are much tuffer on them. When schools put in new fields that are also used by the community as a whole, and that is good for the town in general, helps raise property values, etc... Half of our athletics are funded privately, not by the school system. Teachers do get some say, but they have to follow guidelines of the school department and standards set buy the state curriculum.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• they have to follow what the school/state mandates and sports is big in HS because is brings in funding for the school......expamle my daughters hs the buildings are falling about but instead of fixing them the spent 3M (yes i said 3M) putting in a new football field with all the bells and whistle the could get....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Thank you gals, yea that does help. I know as a parent sometimes I get really frustrated with how much they spend on sports, but having it explained to me like that actually does make sense.
    kitchenwitch78

Comment by kitchenwitch78 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My daughter attends an urban school, and we have never encountered this. Perhaps the problem is with small school districts.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

Next question in
Beware...

Next question overall (Money & Work)
Do I have to contact IRS before filing taxes?