Do you see the world as a big scary place or a place to be explored?

Just makes me curious. I've seen lots of responses in here about how the kids are never let out of the parent's sight because the world is such a big scary place. I'm not talking about letting your kids run wild and not knowing where they are.

One mom had a 10 or 11 year old and won't let him play outside without her there. Others don't let there kids stay the night anywhere without them, not even with family.

I'm just curious how you see the world.

Cindy18

Asked by Cindy18 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Not scary at all if you are prepared (we called i street smarts when I was a kid wandering around our inner city Chicago neighborhood).
    My kids are 10, 9, 8 and almost 5 and wander all over the place within the boundary of our development. The park is a couple blocks down the street and the older 3 come and go as they please (the 4yo has to be with one of them or older friends). Our street goes in a loop so there is no traffic. The kids play in it all the time. They have friends all over and go from house to house ringing bells to see if kids can play. The 4yo happily walks to and from her friend's houses (one is 4 houses down but is only here every other weekend visiting her dad, the other is down the street and around the corner on a culdesac). All the kids around here run free like this. It's great. Just like when I was a kid without all the gangs and chance of violence from other kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• "Do you see the world as a big scary place or a place to be explored?"

I see it as a little bit of both, actually, and hope my kids do too.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:03 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I see it as a place to be explored with a reasonable amount of caution. I think the media has a tendency to blow certain situations out of proportion, putting unfounded fear into people. Realistically, I am more concerned with my son tripping over his own 2 feet than the chance he will be stolen or abused.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• A little bit of both. The world is so big, wonderful, beautiful and mysterious that you want to explore and see and do as much as possible but the same world is also filled with crooks, thiefs, murderers and evil that it can be real scary.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 10:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I see it a bit of both, so you got to beware better safe than sorry.

Answer by older at 11:22 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• it depends on the situation...I've changed my views a lot since I've become a mom
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:04 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• A little bit of both. I try not to be a helicopter mom but its difficult to let them ride their bikes around the neighborhood or even play in the front yard alone without worrying about people who snatch kids.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• For my LO's yeah..... but for me, quite honestly. no.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• A place to be explored . Being helicopterish is not doing your children any favours and may be harmful . I took off to Europe on my own when i was 18 and would encourage my girls to do the same
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• right now it is a scary place because my kids are little.... it isnt as scary as time goes by ( I was alot worse when they were younger) ...... by the time they are older it will be an adventure
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 1:25 PM on Feb. 21, 2011