child with acid reflux, please help!!!

SHE IS ONLY 7 WKS OLD. HER DR. PRESCRIBED HER SOME MEDS AND HAD ME SWITCH HER MILK TO SIMILAC SENSITIVE 3 WKS AGO AND SHE HAS CONTINUED TO SPIT UP SEVERELY. IF U HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS UR ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. i have also tried holding her up for 30-45 minutes after feeding and that doesn't work it even happens while she is feeding and up to 1-2 hrs after she has eaten. i have even tried to thicken it with cereal and that doesn't help.

FallonBlackmnon

Asked by FallonBlackmnon at 12:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• cereal and apple sauce...worked great for us...we changed milk. ask him aBout soy formula. they had to sleep on Bellys sonuds Bad But worked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My daughyter had acid reflux so bad she stopped breathing, was in the hospital for a few days. I didnt like the idea of meds so the doctor suggested putting cereal in her bottle it worked. she is now 6 and still cannot drink or eat anything high in acid
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 12:09 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• You are doing everything right. make sure that if you already don't that you have her bed elevated on a slope as well to keep her head elevated while sleeping.

I would suggest that you visit a pediatric gastroentrologist (sp?) and get a second opinion. Reason being is because I was your baby for 27 years of my life.

I was born just like your baby and since I kept growing the doctors said that I was fine even though I constantly had reflux. All the was through my childhood I thought that this burning sensation in my throat was normal. I would choke on my reflux at night and thought that it too was normal.

It was not until I was 27 that I sought help and found out that my esophagus had never worked correctly and had a surgery that I should have had as an infant done. I am cured now.

Just an FYI. Best wishes with baby.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:09 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• my son has reflux. it's rough. and the only "cure" is time. =( there are several meds you can try to help ease her pain though. and i wouldn't put her to sleep on her stomach. try putting pillows under the head of her bed to keep her head elevated while she sleeps on her back. when my son was having really bad spells, he slept in his swing. feel free to joing the group "anything acid reflux". i'm a member and those ladies have been through it all! great advice from them! good luck! pm me whenever you'd like! =) i know it's hard. ((((hugs!))))
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 12:14 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I would also suggest seeking a second opinion from a pediatric gastroenterologist. Some babies have anatomical or other reasons for having the reflux, while others simply do not outgrow the reflux & will require more aggressive interventions, so it is best to cover all bases and be sure about what is going on. Also, many babies, as they get older, can begin to develop food aversions and/or other health issues (like aspiration pneumonias or esophogeal strictures) b/c of the sxs of the reflux and then you have whole new set of problems to deal with. I'm not saying this is what is going on w/your DD, but better safe than sorry.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Yes, you should try going to a specialist. Our ped sent us to a specialist who changed our daughter's meds. Once she switched meds, her spitting up and crying improved a lot.
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Oh honey I feel your pain. I am going to be very honest with you. We tried everything. He went to a GI doctor, tried rice in the formula/breast milk, propping him up, meds, you name it. The only thing that helped was time...I had a nurse tell me that and she was right! Just make sure you buy stock in bibs and burpies...propping after eating is not a bad idea, it helps some...but for the most part your baby just has an imature tummy and growth is the only thing that will make it better. As long as the doc has ruled out anything serious. I would say once he was on solid food he was some better but it too 9 mo's to a year for any noticable change...good luck!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2008