Can you think of anything else?

When my 13 yo says something snotty, disrespectful for each infraction she stays 1 hr in her room working on a past math or science paper that has been done in the past for retention. Is there anything else better we could do for disrespectful behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Maybe write a paper about how what she said is wrong? I think you'll only get her to hate math and science by doing what you're doing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I have done writing penalties in the past- but made it relavant. Like maybe having her write about better, more effective & respectful ways she can communicate w/ others. An hour seems a bit long, even for 13. Maybe assign her a chore, like windows, or some other chore that may take her about a 1/2 hr. to do. If it's ongoing, cut off all forms of electronic communication until she learns to communicate w/ you better. (no cell, no computer, etc) It's such a fun age isnt it?! Hang in there :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Have you ever asked her why she thinks it is acceptable to speak to you in a disrespectful manner? Often, a simple conversation can transform a relationship.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• It only took one time with my son. He is 16 years old, and he smarted off to me one night and I got right up in his face and told him if he did it again I was going to smack the taste out of his mouth. I don't whip my boys so I guess the threat made him realize I meant business.
    morningstar1972

Answer by morningstar1972 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2011