How do I help my overweight five year old to lose weight?

My daughter is average height for a six year old, but weighs 67 pounds. I need some advice before I give up and set a pediatrician appointment.....any moms out there with the same concerns, advice? please no criticisim.

scnyuma

Asked by scnyuma at 10:21 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Don't buy her junk to eat, cut out soft drinks for her, get her out of the house and more active.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:23 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Give her healthy foods and go on walks as far as she can walk everyday, twice a day. That is about the only way a 5 yr old can loose or maintain weight is to walk/play.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:23 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Excercise and healthy foods. Go out for walks, bike riding, indoor play area. ABSOLETLY NO JUNK FOOD, NO SOFT DRINKS and try to use only 100% juice but do give her too much.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My dd is 6 yrs old and 67 pounds but is as tall as a 7 yr old. I knew she was getting a little chubby and weight problems run in our family. My husband and I made the choice when she was 4 yrs old that she would play a sport at all times. We keep her busy, and she has good eating habits (I dont buy junk) she just tends to eat when she is bored. The key is keeping them busy, active, and feeding them healthy food.

Answer by gemgem at 10:40 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I would encourage her to be active. I would not buy junk food. I would cook healthier meals.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I am one of 5 children, the oldest, I was the only one with a weight problem. Now, so late in life...I have finally figured it out! None of us like the word diet or exercise. It has to become a way of life for all in the family. I used to think that emotional eating was due to emotions. It isn't! It is lack of nutrition. When we crave sugar, salt, etc... our bodies are looking for the mineral or vitamin that is lacking. I have helped so many lose weight and want to exercise. I have videos for kids that I put in and do with them. I will be happy to share with you all that I have done wrong and right to help keep my weight off. I was always the heavy kid! In the 80's I got up to 310lbs. I am only 5'2". Now...I am down to 146 and I will get to my 135 or less!
    LoveOfLifeMom

Answer by LoveOfLifeMom at 10:56 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Make it a FAMILY affair. Do NOT single her out, do not make her feel bad. EVERYONE goes for a walk after dinner. EVERYONE plays outside for 30 minutes a day. Dodgeball, kickball, baseball, basketball, relay races, bike rides, make healthy meals together. Let her be a kid.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Make this a family healthy project. Start by getting more active: take a family walk after dinner; a bike ride on the weekends.
    Make water your primary (or sole) beverage
    Replace all simple/white grains with whole grains
    Cut way back on meat and dairy
    Increase the amount of fruits and vegetables; aim for 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors
    Add more legumes to your diet.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Tyfry and rkoloms offer awesome advice! Yes, make it a family change and if you do go to the ped, aim for the conversation to be about a healthy lifestyle/foods, not her weight loss (as to save some embarrasssment) What are typical meals and snacks like? Try and reduce or cut out "white" foods - pasta, rice, potatoes, white bread. Make sure there is a lean protein included in meals and snacks. Is she involved in any physical activity or team? If not, find one to join! Plus, she'll meet new friends :-) Good luck mama!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Cut out junk, sugars and bad food. Get more active with her. Sign her up for sports. Don't let the focus be on her though. Make it a family change! Otherwise she will feel horrible about herself. Don't even mention her weight to her!
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 11:41 AM on Feb. 22, 2011