How much?

How much should my 6 month old start out eating? Like cereal and jar food I know only one food each week to start with but I never know how much to give her or how often. My first daughter wouldn't eat a lot of baby food she mostly wanted milk but she had lots of teeth by 6 month where she could chew and eat off my plate, my 6 month old has none and seems very interested in eating.

letlovegrow2524

Asked by letlovegrow2524 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would start with about 1/3 of the jar
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Up until the age of one, milk should be their primary nutrition. Start out with solids once per day and your kid will tell you if she wants it more often.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I give my DD oatmeal and juice for breakfast, then 3 hours later a 8 0z bottle at nap time, lunch she eats a 4 oz bottle and jar of baby food, and then dinner another jar of baby food and bottle and then one more bottle at bedtime.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My DD isnt 6 months old, sorry forgot to mention that, give her about half of that.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:46 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• She really likes it and will eat about 1/3 of the jar but I wasn't sure if i should give it too her like meals at first or work up to that. I don't really know how much milk she drinks she will nurse whenever she feels like it which could be 10 or 20 times a day lol depending on her moods. And like how much cereal because I always seem to waste it, I have to mix a little fruit in it or she won't eat it.
    letlovegrow2524

Comment by letlovegrow2524 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I started feeding mine solids right after they nursed at mealtimes, but mine had a more set schedule. I started with a couple tablespoons of cereal and gradually increased that. Now my 7 month old eats 1/4 cup cereal and 1/2 jar of baby fruit for breakast, if she wants more, then I take more out of the jar. All babies are different and will eat different amounts. My goal was always to have them eating 3 meals/day and 2 snacks by a year, so I worked towards that goal by lining up when she ate with our meals.
    You mentioned she doesn't have any teeth, but that really isn't important. Mine were all late teethers, but had no problem mashing up table food by 8 months.

Answer by missanc at 11:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2011