How to handle people wanting to hold my newborn...

My older dd has ballet lessons and while the girls are in class all the moms sit in the lobby and talk and wait on our girls to get out.

I just had a baby and am a bit of a germ o phobe. Most of the moms are nice and "normal" and act typical except for this one mom.

She is obnoxious, says things in a nice way that are really meant to be a snide remark, loud, and smokes. Seems sort of dirty too.

I KNOW she will ask to hold my dd and I DONT WANT HER TOO....

I know I can just say no...but thats easier to say than to actually do.

What is a good way to put her off without looking like a witch. lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Now's a good time to learn to be more assertive. I have no problem saying no to people wanting to hold a newborn. If the baby is asleep you can always say She's asleep and I prefer to not wake her up.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• it cold and flu season and the dr recommonded no one be touching her......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• wish i could help, but making a point of her smoking would be a good way to start it up. i wouldnt want anyone who'd just smoked to be holding my newborn
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 10:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Hey I like that one cara! Her immune system is low right now, Dr said no one should hold her :)

I like it!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Just say it is doctors orders.....

Answer by older at 10:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• can also tell them truth- " look she is a newborn and i just prefer noone touch other than me at this time i dont wanna take any chances" or give them hand santizer and make them wash their hands before you do at least that way you know that their clean
    ashleyholloway

Answer by ashleyholloway at 10:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• you can fib and say doctors orders, nothing wrong with that. But you can also say "no thank you". Your the mom, it's your choice, if they don't like it, they'll get over it.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:58 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Just say "I'd prefer that the public doesn't handle the baby right now. With flu/cold season going around I'd rather not risk her getting sick"..
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:18 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Wear her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• lie if you have to, blame it on the doctor, or just say your baby is a germophobe. i just tell people that CJ is a germophobe, and it usually gets a laugh as well as the message across.
    pagwife55

Answer by pagwife55 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2011