How possible is it for the Dr's to be incorrect about how the baby is growing??

Reason I ask is because, due to being told our baby girl will have Agenesis of the Corpus Collosum, we are now told she will have Schiencephaly which both are a cranial issue. :/
Now they say she is 3 weeks behind in growth. I know these are all things they can be wrong about, but ugh! I hope they are wrong all around. She was negative for down syndrome which is good but her little head is just not right.. I am tring to keep it together but I cant take anymore bad news with "we don't know" for answers. but I understand they are professionals and are trying to help so im trying to be patient. Its starting to cause stress at home with me and my bf. cause he doesnt talk about how he feels and im wanting some comfort. But to my question.... im 31 weeks this Friday, could they be wrong with her measurements.. even being at one of the best women and infant hospitals in the state of Fla?!?!!?

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 11:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• There is always the possibility of a mistake, my first pregnancy was diagnosed as a cyst that needed to be taken out, so go figure, positive thoughts mom, good luck and hugs!

Answer by older at 11:08 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Everything they test for during pregnancy has a great chance of being wrong. Seeing as they cannot examine the infant quite as accurately as they could postpartum. The child being in the whomb leaves great mystery to what they will have upon delivery. You cannot give them blood tests as accurately, MRI's, Cat Scans, etc while in utero. That being that there is a great chance that their diganosis is wrong. The doctors and you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak, since there isn't accurate enough tests to determin a proper diagnosis.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:14 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'm not a nurse or anything but from what I've seen the measurements are just an estimate, not perfectly accurate. But I'm sorry about all the bad news. That's hard to take especially while pregnant. Hopefully everything will work out.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• From my personal experience, yes they can be off on their measurements. I was told my son might have downs syndrome, that he definately had short femur and humerous bones and that he had IUGR. He had none of those. Good luck with everything!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• yes they can definitely be off on measurements. when i was 39 weeks with my 1st son they told me he was about 7 1/2 lbs we i went into labor at 40 weeks and 2 days and my son only weighed 5 lbs 6oz whe he was born so they off by a lot
    beckerswife1429

Answer by beckerswife1429 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 22, 2011