For those of you who have a "mom car" that you love, what is it? (year, model)

We just had an accident yesterday and our car was "totaled" at least by insurance standards. It makes me feel better to fantasize about getting a brand new car (for the first time ever) ...and I imagined that I would want something with 4 wheel drive, room for 3 -4 children and stuff in the back and hybrid if possible.
I like the Highlander a bit...though I used to be set on an Outback, but it actually seems too small now.

boomamma

Asked by boomamma at 11:11 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Shopping

• I have a 2011 Toyota Sienna. Love it. Plenty of room for all. It was amazing on our road trip to LA and back through the Sierras and Death Valley.

I really wanted a Highlander but it was too small. I have 3 kids, who are all tall. It would have been fine when it was just me and the kids (DS1 is old and tall enough to sit up front) but if it was all 5 of us, nope. There is very little leg room in the back row. I wasn't going to put my 5 yr old back there on his own. And my then 10 & 12 yr olds would have been squished.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• This doesn't fit your criteria at all, and I know it sounds crazy but I love my old 1994 Toyota Camry stationwagon! My husband has offered me a new car, but I just don't like any out there as well as I love my wagon. It fits all 7 of us (has the flip up 3rd row seat in the back - my kids argue over who gets to sit there), but drives like a small car. We are looking at a Suburban or Ford Expedition to use for trips so we have space for storage (other than the roof carrier), but for around town my wagon suits me great!

Answer by missanc at 11:18 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Not sure if you would call it a "Mom car", but I drive a Range Rover. It fits all 3 of our boys comfortably in the backseat and can carry our 100 lb German Shepherd as well.. It holds both of our Shepherds if I lay the backseat down. I love our Rangie, it's comfortable, and very reliable...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:18 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My kids are 18,11 and 9 and I have the nissan murano and love it.. Lots of room for all 5 of us and plenty of room in the back for our stuff going out of town etc... I got a great deal on mine.. It is a 2007, had 33,000 miles when I bought it for 18,000.00. It is still under the factory warranty.. New ones will run you around 35,000.00 and up. I dont think they make them in the hybrid but they do have all wheel drive ones.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I want the Highlander!!!!
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I love my mom car!!! 2005 Honda Odyssey--totally roomy & family friendly, tons of great features, super-reliable, drives smoothly...the whole family loves it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 11:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I really don't think mine fit the mom car description I had a Chevy blazer it was ok till I had my youngest that put us to driving 2 vehicles every where lol now I have a 2000 Chevy siverado 1500 4x4 it seats 6 and I absolutely love it !!! not really a mom car but def. worth myy money I hall stuff in the back all the time and pull a trailer occassionally
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• 2007 jeep commander with hemi. Love it! It has the navi, DVD player with head phones, 6 disc changer, heated leather seats, you name it, it's got it. We rarely use the 3rd row, but it's there if we do need it. if I were to get a new car, and couldn't get a jeep, it'd be a traverse, 32 mpg, that's awesome for an suv.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Well...we are in the "young children" phase of life, so we don't really NEED an SUV big/car...which is why I LOVED the Outback ...but we have big stuff and I have a big husband...so when we go on trips, we need STUFF space more than anything.
    I love station wagon style cars...so I'd be happy with a good one of those too, I think.
    boomamma

Comment by boomamma (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Ford Freestyle. Bad thing is they only made it for 3 years (2005, 06, 07), good thing is after that they started calling it the Taurus - same car, different name. You can get different interiors, but ours is 4 bucket seats that all fold down flat, love it. Really good gas mileage regardless of the AWD, handles better on nasty roads than DH's 4wd pickups, kids love it because they have their own seat & it's nice & roomy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Feb. 21, 2011