Allergy test

How old do babies have to be to get an allergy test??? My daughter is allergic to many things and i wanna know for sure so that i know what to avoid when i start table foods

Tiffany_Rivera_

Asked by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 11:33 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was 6 months old when i had my first alergie test.
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 11:42 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Allergy test are either a blood panel or tons of skin testing. If your daughter has to have blood taken for any reason, just request that the allergy panel is added on.
    Skin testing is super-hard for the little ones. They get itchy pinches over and over again, and then they have to wait, with nothing touching their skin for 15 moniutes to be read.
    I would just add food one by one, and if you notice a reaction, back off. You doctor probably wouldn't suggest any testing unless ashe has exhibited reactions.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:47 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My son had allergy testing done, starting at one year old. It was done about 10-12 allergens at a time because his back was really small, obviously, so there just wasn't room to test everything at once. It didn't bother him one little bit. He didn't cry or cringe or even make a weird face. I read him a couple of books while we waited for the histamines to set. We'd wait a month and go back for the next series. It was really no big deal. Whenever a histamine produced a wheal, the tech would rub on an antihistamine and all was well.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I had my son tested at 8 months after struggling that long with bronchitis. The dr. laughed at me, but when he came into the room to tell me he really did have an allergy he had his tail between his legs. I would have had him tested sooner if I could find a dr sooner that would listen to me.

Good luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 22, 2011