"Feeding" the Potty?

I have tried everything I can think of to potty train my kids. Stickers, chocolate, special trips to a pizza place, nothing works. I have a 26 month old girl and a 3 and a half year old boy. My boy has been pee trained for over a year but refuses to sit on the potty. I met a stranger this weekend who told me to tell the kids that the potty is Hungry, and thirsty. And we need to feed it, to take care of it, like we do our cats and dogs. At first I thought this was a neat idea, but after thinking about it, I am now worried that this might encourage my kids to throw food, toys or other things down the toilet. Has anyone else used this idea and did it work for you?

busywithbabies

Asked by busywithbabies at 11:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried putting some toys, coloring books maybe a lollipop in a small basket? Everytime he goes he gets to pick 1 thing out of the box to use, eat, etc Maybe books he would like to to read to him also have worked as an incentive, letting him pick a couple out himself at the store, letting him know they are to be read after he uses the potty. Good luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• The feeding the potty thing sounds weird to me, but if it works... My son will not sit to pee, he will only stand up. He is really into target practice. We use biodegradable packing peanuts to aim at. As far as sitting on the potty, my son was very fussy and we had to buy him a potty seat that suited his poop. It sounds weird, but have you asked your son what is beef with sitting is? Perhaps the seat is cold or not cushy or he is afraid of falling in. It takes a little hangup to cause a big problem.

Hang in there!
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 22, 2011