"Feeding" the Potty?

I have tried everything I can think of to potty train my kids. Stickers, chocolate, special trips to a pizza place, nothing works. I have a 26 month old girl and a 3 and a half year old boy. My boy has been pee trained for over a year but refuses to sit on the potty. I met a stranger this weekend who told me to tell the kids that the potty is Hungry, and thirsty. And we need to feed it, to take care of it, like we do our cats and dogs. At first I thought this was a neat idea, but after thinking about it, I am now worried that this might encourage my kids to throw food, toys or other things down the toilet. Has anyone else used this idea and did it work for you?

busywithbabies

Asked by busywithbabies at 11:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• "I am now worried that this might encourage my kids to throw food, toys or other things down the toilet. " My niece was going slowly with her training and they thought it would encourage her to show her how fun it was to flush paper down the toilet.

Seemed like a great idea until one day they realized that the paper she flushed down the toilet was actually the money to pay the Day care lady!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I would never do this because if the "items that should not be flushed" issue.
    Is there a toy that your son wants so badly, but you refuse to purchase for him right now?? For my daughter, she wanted a Barbie - so I bought one, put it on a high shelf and told her that when she pooped or peed in the potty all week, she'd get it. Well that was all it took. She "earned" the Barbie and was fully trained in that week. She didn't respond to stickers, she didn't respond to a special dinner out, or to treats....but that dang Barbie on a shelf was killing her.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:56 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• The only thing that I can say is that with my son I used to throw Cheerios and told him to aim lol and he got that down as far as sitting on the toiled to go that took some effort..I would give him a book and tell him to read and go pretty much in so many words..but he is now four and insists that he now always needs reading material in the potty!
    mamabear131028

Answer by mamabear131028 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• but them a special potty we used a talking elmo we put my grandson on our hallway he could see the tv but he still had privacy. the elmo spoke english as well as spanish.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 12:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2011