If you had sex as a teen...

was there anything your parents could have said or done that would have prevented you from continuing to have sex? Was there anything they could have said or done that would have made you change your mind about having sex? If they made it impossible in their home, were you out there doing it in other places?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 12:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• i wish i had a better female role model. it took me far too long to realize that i should have more respect for myself. =/
    BrookeKRod

Answer by BrookeKRod at 12:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I found love at 16, and at 17 or so discovered sex with my long time boyfriend, there was nothing they could have done to prevent this for happening, if they made it impossible at home, there would always be other places and time.

Answer by older at 12:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My mother did everything in her power to keep me in the house, when she learned I was with my boyfriend at fifteen. It didnt work, she wasnt going to keep me from him. Teens will find a way. I would meet him right after school and we would sit together on the bleachers and kiss,etc. My mom couldnt be there with me every moment of the day. She had to work, and I knew when I could sneak. What she did lack to do is...teach me about safe sex, bring me to the doctors, etc. Mothers need to pay attention to what their kids are trying to tell them. These kids need to be able to come to you with what ever it is, regardless...they need to feel they can trust you. My mom would have never in her life put me on birth control. Well, needless to say I had my son when I was sixteen. She was furious, but told me later on if life she should have done things different. Its just teens trying to test their limits.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I waited untill i was 19 but i think that was my own choice i always heard from teachers and stuff everything bad that could happen or my grandparents always told me to wait as well as my parents. My brother and sister was alot younger then i was when they had sex so i think its just the person's own choice. Just show then how to pratice safe sex and let them know about all the std's and how how easy it is to get preg now a days
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Nope..I knew what I was doing and would could happen..which is why I took the necessary precautions.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• At 16, I told my mom I wanted to have sex. She didn't tell me I couldn't. She just said I had to get married first so I found a guy and we got married. Sex wasn't that great with him so I divorced him. (Teen logic!)

Answer by admckenzie at 12:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My parents did not care that was something I did a couple of times and did not care for.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:13 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I would have done it regardless of what my parents said. And I don't regret it.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• It would have been nice if my parents talked about sex and not just said don't do it. It also would have helped if my mom stood up to my abusive father who caused my lack of self esteem and belief that finding a man to love me was done by having sex.
    I used sex to fulfill the void of a loving father, I used sex because I thought boys would love me and want to be with me, I used sex to make me feel important and worthy.
    My parents were oblivious to building self esteem and self worth, or even teaching me about healthy relationships and self respect.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Nope, I think if my mom was home more (she worked a full time job, a part time job and went to school), I would have just found somewhere else to do it. I didn't always go to my house, there were other houses and other places to have sex. My mom had a long talk with me about self respect and sex and everything.. She did the best she could, but I made up my mind and I don't regret it. I know there could have been some ramifications, but I didn't get any of those, so I think I was too young, but I am okay with it.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2011