Anyone make candles?

i found some cute candles online but they didnt have enough in stock and wanted way to much for shipping so i wanted to see if i could do it myself. ive never done candles before so i have no clue what kind of wax and fragrance to buy.. i have jars and i know i need wicks but i dont know what else to do.. if you can help please email me a.s.a.p. i have maybe 5 days to buy everything and another 3 to produce 40 6 oz candles

swaney06

Asked by swaney06 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Thanks in advance for any help!
    swaney06

Comment by swaney06 (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• You can get all that stuff at art supply stores, like Micheal's. Even some super stocked Walmarts might have some candle making kits.

I make candles all the time. Hemp can work good as a wick, but you have to soak it in wax first & let it dry. I save all my used melted candles & re-melt them into new candles. It's a great way to save $$. Pringles containers work real well as a mold, just make sure to wax the inside so that the candle slides out OK after it hardens. You can also peel away the pringles container if it's a bit stuck. I also find cute little votives all the time at places like Ross & TJ maxx that I'll pour some melted wax into. They make great small candles. I bought a box of cheap shot glasses on sale & made on some small candles for Christmas once, they worked great. You can play around with them lots. The scents are expensive though...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• you need a double boiler, or you can put a small pot into a larger pot. Fill the larger pot up with water to boil & put the wax into the smaller pot. If you melt the wax strait on a pot on the stove top burner, the wax will melt. I wrap the wick around a pencil with enough hanging down to reach the bottom of the jar & I sit the pencil on top of the jar so that the string hangs directly into the middle of the candle & then just let it dry. It's real easy.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I buy everything at Walmart mostly, Michaels is great just so expensive. It's easy and fun, and I agree with a double boiler. It's a must for working with wax.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 12:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• thanks ladies..i figure ill just buy votives and melt them.. i found some cute fragrances that matched the colors i needed
    swaney06

Comment by swaney06 (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• yes i do candles if u still need help let me no
    wayneswife2177

Answer by wayneswife2177 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 23, 2011

• NOPE... hard work
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 12:33 PM on Feb. 28, 2011