Are ultra sounds accurate?

At 23 weeks the radiologist said I was a week ahead to spot on my due date...at 32 weeks they said I was 2 weeks off and today at 34 weeks they said I am 3 weeks ahead...how can it very so much? He said its because the size of my baby...he said he is 7bls already and 2 weeks ago he was 5bls 2oz...I think its because I am 6ft and my husband is 6'7...I don't know what to think...please help...

tall_mom42

Asked by tall_mom42 at 12:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• it starts to vary the farther along you get when you are like 40 weeks it can vary up to 8 weeks
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 12:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• was told i would only make it to 28wks past that. the was told i would go to 40...nope 36wks...and was way off with weight
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Ultrasounds are not vary accurate later on in pregnancy on determining weight. It just goes by measurements. I have seen many cases where a mom was told she was going to have a 10lbs baby based on a late ultrasound and she ended up with a 6 or 7lb baby. I think that the most accurate ultrasounds at determining a due date is the earlier ones. Also a due date is just an estimate your baby will come when it is ready and if it doesn't your doctors will intervene when they feel it is appropriate.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My doc says it varies usually by a pound meaning if they say 7 lb then the baby is probably 6. I had an ulrasound 2 days before delivery and he said 9 1/2 lbs. Well she was 8lbs 6oz so my doc was right.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 1:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• A due date is just an educated guess. Most babies are born within two weeks of that date.

I was always worried about my baby coming early, so I got everything pcked and finished the nursery several weeks ahead of time, just to be safe...you might want to do the same.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• My due date changed three times in the beginning of my pregnancy and my son came 4 days late by induction. I measured ahead with him as well as I got farther along. The day before we went in to get induced the ultrasound showed him at 9 lbs. and my doctor told me it can be a lb. off either way, my son weighed exactly 9 lbs. Your baby will come when it's ready, but I'd make sure I have my hospital bag pakced and waiting by the door as well as a back-up on in all the vehicles.
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 2:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2008