Best way to make.....?

My kids are 7 (boy) and almost 4 (girl). They're both all about Pokemon. I want to make some poke balls that they can toss around and not hurt each other or break things with. My plan was to buy some type of material and then paint the sphere to look like the various kinds of pokeballs that are out there now (I like pokemon too. shhh, don't tell).

But, I don't know the best material to use and do what I'm envisioning. I also have three cats that will bat around anything that moves. My first thought was styrofoam, but I think the kids and/or cats will destroy them too fast. I don't know how to paint Nerf anything and wood would be too hard.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 12:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Actually, you CAN use the nerf balls. Instead of painting buy the large sharpie pens . .. they come in all colors . . . and permanant marker them.

How fun!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I think that although the styrofoam may easily get destroyed, it is inexpensive enough to just make a bigger batch of them, let them have fun, and if they get destroyed, so be it, you'll have more to pull out (maybe just give them a few at first). The smooth styrofoam may hold up a little better than you think. Good luck. You sound like a super fun mom!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I actually have to ban Pokemon in my house at times. I can only tolerate "Pikachu, thunderbolt! you're dead *insert daughters name here*" yelled at the top of my son's lungs so many times before I drives me nuts.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2011