Can marriage stress cause high blood pressure? Am I putting my health at risk?

Last year I developed high blood pressure after finding out my husband was cheating on me. I have since went through a pregnancy with it high, and it is still high. We have separated. It was normal until I found out about it. I am not overweight and I eat very healthy food and I exercise all the time.

My husband wants us to reconcile. When he comes over I feel physically sick. I did cognative therapy with resperate for panic attacks a few years ago. I tried the same for blood pressure since I remembered it was for that. The scene I play in my head that makes my bp go down really low is me hurting him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Health

• umm--I have to say that the stress of being around your husband can cause your blood pressure to rise, however HE can't cause it to rise, only YOUR reaction to him can. Also, hypertension is hereditary....so check with the family. Do you drink a lot of coffee or soda? salt? even frozen dinners and canned food are high in sodium......eatting healthy doesn't always mean NO SALT either.........
    Good luck!
    LiFeOVeRForTY

Answer by LiFeOVeRForTY at 1:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Any and all stress can cause high blood pressure. Try meditation and accupressure for some stress relief tactics.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• If you reconcile, I would definitely recommend counseling both for what was going on that he fell to the temptation to cheat as well as your feelings of wanting to hurt him, and finding some other 'scene' for calming in your cognitive therapy. The key is his being truly sorry for what he did and you forgiving him. No one will forget, but you can choose to move on and have a different response than hate and anger. Ball is in your court.
    ritzysmom

Answer by ritzysmom at 9:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Stress can be manifested in a number of physical ways, including your high blood pressure. Your "therapy", however, is not helping you, even if it seems to in the short term. It tells me you haven't dealt with your issues over his infidelity at all, and you really need to to that before you can ever hope to have any chance at a normal life, much less reconciliation of any sort. Your response suggests deep-seated anger, and that is unhealthy. Picture it as a poison, slowly tricking through your system...because honestly, that is what it is. Anger is about as unhealthy an emotion as any, and it can do real and lasting damage. So get yourself some help. A support group, a doctor, whatever it takes. You need it, and you need to stop your "therapy" before it causes damage.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 11:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2008