Called racist -- and you won't believe why! You think I was (acting racist)?? (LANGUAGE) adult content

Putting this in JFF cuz I don't know where else to put it)

My husband and I like to go fishing to relax. And being fishermen we adhere to some simple Fisherman's Etiquette - we all have to share the water right. One rule when fishing on a river (or spillway) is The Rough 90 Degree Rule (unspoken of course, you won't find it in rule book LOL) --- if sitting on the side of the river, each person gets an unspoken 90 degree angle in front of them to fish in (basically from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock). No big deal right? And if someone else's line ends up in your 10 or 11 o'clock area, you basically forgive it cause everybody wants to catch a fish and have fun.

We went to the spillway yesterday, found our little spot by the river - and cast our lines. we catch a couple of fish....woohoo...we're relaxed and enjoying ourselves.

In a little bit a family of 7 (mom and dad plus 5 kids ranging from 3 months old to I'm guessing teenagers) come down and take the next spot over - about 50 feet away -- a little close but hey, we can all share. The woman perches herself closest to me.

I'm fishing with my line at 12 o'clock -- right in front of me. And the woman casts her line right over the top of my line. I tell her in a voice ONLY loud enough to be heard - cuz you don't know if she did it on purpose, so you give the benefit of the doubt. But she don't move her line. So I reel in and untangle her line from mine, toss her line back in the water to my left and recast my line. I catch a fish. While I'm unhooking my fish I hear "Ploop" right behind me, turn around to find that she's cast her line right back in my 12 o'clock area. Fine, I move my next cast to about the 1 o'clock area. She eventually moves her line. I catch another fish and then recast back into about the 11 o'clock area. She throws her line OVER my line again. I holler over to them that she's done it again.

NOW is when I notice that the husband speaks English -- she don't. So I politely go over and tell him that she keeps casting right in front of me (pretty much crowding me out). I don't understand Spanish ( real well) but I recognize some and his hand movements as he's telling her to cast her line to her left where he's fishing. I go back to my little perch and Recast my line again.... about 11/12 o'clock. She does it AGAIN! Now I'm getting irritated. Once again I reel in -- snagging her line AGAIN -- untangle her line from mine AGAIN and this time I get up and TAKE the hook over to her (her stupid fishing line dragging behind me) and AGAIN I ask her to stop throwing over the top of my line. Again her husband speaks to her in Spanish indicating with his arms to "go left" where he's fishing.

I go back and recast once again.... (now mind you I'm trudging up and down the river bank, over giant rocks, back and forth trying to be nice).........she effin does it AGAIN!.... This time, I reel in my line - snagging her line again -- but this time when I get it to the bank, I pull out my pocket knife and cut her line and throw it up the bank behind me. And I don't say a single word. (we're talking less than 2 minutes from me asking her for the 3rd time)

Fisherman's Law has taken over ... I'm mad - I'm a country girl, and you don't mess with our men, our kids, OR our fun time. Enough with the bullshit explanation "she don't understand English -- she's doing this shit on purpose, it's obvious!

When she saw me cut her line, this B&^% flies mad and starts *screaming* at me in Spanish -- from living in west Tx for 20 years I understand when I'm being cussed out in Spanish... and I make out a few key words that she's saying...... besa mi culo puta, chinga usted, no me jodas pinche puta. Then the man starts yelling at us calling me and my husband "Fucking racists sons-o-bitches" and then says (in a thick Spanish tongue) "Jew are jes don't like mi familia because we are Mexican!"

I thought my husband was gonna throw his butt in the river. But I couldn't believe that they were standing there screaming that we were being racist because of such stupid crap! They were the ones being freakin rude not us! We exercised patience, politeness, and every other nicety we could until it just became OBVIOUS she didn't intend to stop. And it was such utter bullshit that she was even doing this crap to begin with -- these were complete strangers.

If you have no etiquette, don't understand the customs and DON'T speak the language - someone coming over and asking you THREE times in a row to stop what you're doing, explaining that your actions are considered rude -- and then you keep doing it... I say that you deserve what you get when the hammer falls.
You don't steal people's fishing spot, you don't take their fish and you don't interfere with their relaxation and enjoyment - c'mon.

I swear I have NEVER had to go through anything so utterly stupid and senseless in my life! Yet, I'm a racist for standing up for myself?? Really?

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Shouldnt have been called racist...she was just being annoying! You have more patience than me....atleast you tried to let it go....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• no thats not racist actually you dealt with it longer than i would have.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'm sorry. The husband understood you and really I'm sure so did the wife. I hate when people use that as an excuse to be rude! You did the right thing.

What did you say back to them when they said that to you?
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I pull out my pocket knife and cut her line and throw it up the bank behind me.

I would've done the same. Stupid (insert bad word).

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I am uaully quick to call people out on their discrimination, but this is not an example of that. You were not being racist, and you gave them many chances to resolve the issue peacefully.

Sorry that your fishing day got tainted. :(
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• OMG! I'd be mad too. And NO you are not a racist. You are a pissed off fisherman who's tired of someone (skin color does not matter) casting over to your spot, tangling the lines, etc. It's not a race issue, it's a courtesy issue, plain & simple.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Her husband should have either gotten her to move her body or cast for her. I don't blame you for cutting her line after asking her to move down a little multiple times....how they got this as racist I don't know...they must be using the "new" definition of racist. I was called a racist cun% here on CM because I disagreed with Obama's policies. Whhhaattt???

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:40 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• psssh... i would've cut the line after the second time! lol
    rikkaboo8407

Answer by rikkaboo8407 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'd have done the same thing you did (if my lake wasn't frozen).  Not racist at all, just human.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Wasn't a lot I COULD say to her -- I don't speak enough Spanish to effectively communicate in a freakin river fight. LOL My argument back to them was basically "Look, we're all trying to have a good time, relax and enjoy ourselves. It's a big damn river, there's NO NEED for her to be doing that, especially over and over. Either learn some damn etiquette or build your own fucking river to fish in". When the guy said we didn't like his family because they were Mexican, my husband turned about 3 shades of red before stopping on Maroon! And told the guy " Look Motherfucker we ain't 20 feet from the border; you're in the wrong part of the country to be throwing that bullshit around but if you want to go there let's dance" (and then my husband called him a few choice names in Spanish) ending with letting him know that baptism is about to start if he don't chill out. (by now a few more "Good Ole Boys" had joined us)
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2011