My 4 month old son fusses and cries everyday and almost all night...

I took him to the doctors and he had a slight ear infection so they gave me a prescription for that and also a prescription for acid reflux. I have given him those as told to do so, and nothing. I give him gas drops in his feedings, he has no problem with gas and he is not constipated, I change his diaper (even if its not wet or nasty), change his clothes, burp him, play with him, the swing doesnt work nor does the bouncer, holding him, walking around with him,a bath...I just dont know what to do anymore. I have depression and my anxiety and stress levels are high, I cannot find ways to even soothe myself from all this stress. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

babydrama252011

Asked by babydrama252011 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hugsMaybe a change in his formula could help. 3 of my 4 kids are lactose intolerant and were very fussy until we found the right formula. Also babies feel the stress levels, If mamma is upset baby will be too. Good Luck I hope this helps.

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My youngest also had colic and when they out him on alimentum by similac the colic disappeared!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• ^^ put~sorry
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

• I would definitely consider changing the formula, my son was like that as well when he was around the same age as yours and as soon as we changed the formula to lactose he was better
    MasonsMommyy

Answer by MasonsMommyy at 1:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I would guess that the reflux medication is not enough. I had 2 moderate-severe reflux babies. Both we dairy intolerant on top of it. I bf'd them so I had to cut all dairy out of my diet. The one that did get some formula had to have soy.

What medication did they give him? I am guessing that it is Zantac. You should give it directly before his feedings. It is extremely weight sensitive, meaning if he gains some weight the dose will not work. It is often frequently given at the lowest dose for the child's weight as well.

I would ask for Prevacid solutabs. They dissolve in the mouth, and taste much better than the Zantac. They aren't as weight sensitive. And you can just crush it and sprinkle it onto baby's tongue. You can also ask for a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist. Mine saved my son's life and my sanity.

PM me if you want. I've been through it twice.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I agree with balagan_imma my sons zantac didnt work either we had to change to prevacid and add cereal to the bottles to help keep it down...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Thank you for all of your advice, I really do appreciate it! I guess I will talk with his pediatrician about the alimentum formula and go on from there. Now any advice on how to de-stress myself?! Lol! Thanks again everyone!
    babydrama252011

Comment by babydrama252011 (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• When my DD was little and would cry and cry the DH and I would take turns trying to calm her, sometimes five minutes was all I could do and he would have to have a turn. I love her so much but the sheer noise of the crying would wear on my nerves. If you can switch off with someone to take a few minutes break that can help, if you're alone with baby then just put them down in the crib for a minute or two and walk away to get some deep breaths. It might seem mean, but they are crying whether you are holding them or not so taking a minute to gather yourself and coming back ready to try again can really help calm you both down in the long run. And take advantage of any offer to help from anyone who offers to babysit or even to just come over and hold the baby so you can take a shower or get some things done. Hopefully a formula switch can help, and remember that this too shall pass so hang in there Mama. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Thanks for your advice MaryMW, but my husband works anywhere from 5pm on and comes homes anywhere between 6am-3pm, depending on if the jobs are finished and how long they take. So I know what youre saying about needing the help and getting the help, but he sleeps all day to go back and do it all over again. My in-laws work just about everyday too, and trying to get them to help me out with the kids (I have a 8 yr old, 1yr old and my 4 month old), its like I have to scheduale an appt with them 2 weeks beforehand, theyre always busy if their not working. So its like Im basically on my own for now. :( I do let him cry it out, but like you said, the sheer noise out of something soo small does wear out you and your nerves. It seems my son likes to sleep for about 10-30 mins and stays awake just about 4 hrs to do it all again, same thing at night also! The only thing I can think of is to go in the bathroom, and just cry! Lol!
    babydrama252011

Comment by babydrama252011 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2011