Meeting with the principal and teacher- advice?

I have a meeting tomorrow with my kindergarteners teacher and the principal. My goal is to show that my child's teacher is treating my child unfairly and she needs to approach learning and discipline more positively and fairly.
The bottom line is that she believes my child is very intelligent (her words not mine) and therefore holds her to higher social and educational standards (she wants her reading at a 3rd grade level by the end of the year and says that she has the second highest math score in the class but that she is being lazy).
She is a smart little kid, but that doesn't mean she is more mature (if anything, she is confused by social situations). And she is making her move her clip when she feels she is not 'living up to her potential' academically. And she told me that since my child has 'such a large vocabulary', she should be able to communicate with the other children 'without becoming frustrated'. I want my child to know that she MUST follow the classroom rules, but I want her held to the same social rules as the other children, and not come home crying everyday.

I have had 4 phone conversations and 4 conferences with the teacher this year. But I know that a principal's job is usually to support the teacher first.

Any ideas how I should approach this conversation? I need a plan because I am very frustrated with this pushy teacher and 'going off' and being overly negative is not going to help my little girl.

pat7879

Asked by pat7879 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The teacher is pushing your kindergarten aged child too fast and too hard. You're right about the age and the social skills. She will come to hate school, reading, etc. is she is pushed like that, and no matter what her potential is, her motivation and drive will not be sucessful. There is more to growing and learning than acaedemics. Social skills are a must. Don't let the principal and the teacher railroad you anymore. Go over their heads if you need to. I'm sure you can find somewhere in the school policies about what they are suppose to be teaching, and i know all schools grade on attitude of learning, social skills, etc. I think this teacher wants your girl to exceed acedemically becasue it makes HER look like a great teacher, when in reality, she is emoitionally hurting the child. And calling her lazy? That's unprofessional. And the teacher should ONLY put grade-level goals towards your child, never higher (like third).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Stay calm and tell the principal exactly what you said here. It is NOT the principals job to back the teacher first. It is the principals job to make sure that a child is being treated fairly and that his or her teachers are doing their jobs, correctly. This teacher is pushing your daughter way to hard and it could have a negative affect on your child to the point she will grow to hate school and she is way too young to hate school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2011