PROOF that neutering calms down a male dog????

My dog is 1 year and 4 months old. He is a little rambunctious, but he is a great dog, he listens and knows how to do all the normal dog things: Sit, Lay Down, Roll Over, Stand Up, Bark, Speak (Growl), Bed, Kennel, etc...
I am due to have my baby in 10 days.
My mom swears that getting my dog neutered will be the best route to go! I have to disagree, I think he will be upset about losing his testicles...

Do you have any links or websites providing any VETs proof or testimonies of neutering just to keep a calm and collect house during the transition of bringing in a newborn?

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 1:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Pets

• I had my Rat Terrier neutered at 1 1/2 and he's fine. but, It calmed his down just, a tad bc, he hyper. I have 3 females and he still gets them when they go in heat but, he's shooting blanks. It's best to get him neutered,thats what I would do.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 2:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I don't think he will miss them and it holds many different benefits.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2112&aid=911

I think your Mom is right on this one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• From what i have heard, it calms them down because their testosterone levels go down, so they aren't as aggressive.
    If he is over 20 pounds, i would get him neutered. Why take a chance, with a newborn around? He will be a bit depressed for about a week, then he gets over it. I promise you it will not change his personality. It will just calm him down, and give you peace of mind.
    IMO it is the best way to go, if you have an animal. Always spay and neuter.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:46 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Shouldnt this be under the pets category??
    michellesgirls2

Answer by michellesgirls2 at 4:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Your dog is not going to be upset or even miss his testicles. In fact, he will be more upset and uncomfortable if he develops testicular tumors later in life. Neutering will also decrease his chances for prostrate cysts and infections. Over 80% of dogs who are NOT neutered develop prostrate disease, and many develop the testicular cancer.

Neutering your male dog will decrease his androgens, mainly testosterone, so it will decrease his sexual drives. This does help to settle an animal down. It also helps to keep the animal from running away to find a mate, or from running off after the scent of a mate. Some animals are intact and not a problem, some stallions for example can be ridden by children. However, some stallions will try to kill a person. Most often intact animals are much less predictable, they often have bigger mood swings. Hormone surges are responsible for these mood swings in many cases.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:39 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• Here are some statistics and documents:

Male dogs are more aggressive than females, and most of the aggression is by intact males. Male dogs accounted for 70% - 87% of the attacks studied, and 60% were unneutered males.

* Readings in Companion Animal Behavior. Victoria L. Voith & Peter Borchelt. (1996: Trenton: Veterinary Learning Systems) pp. 226, 235
    * Public Health Reports: The Ethology of the Dog Bite. A. M. Beck, H. Loring, & R. Lockwood. (1975)
    * A Study of Animal-to-Human Bites by Breed in Palm Beach County, Florida. D. L. Moore. 1987.
    * Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association: Selecting Pet Dogs on the Basis of Cluster Analysis of Breed Behavior Profiles and Gender. B. L. Hart & L. A. Hart (1985, Volume 186, pages 1181-5).

http://law.jrank.org/pages/12004/Causes-Crime.html
    Scroll down to the section labeled "hormones"
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:12 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• You are equating a dogs thought process & reasoning ablities, to that of a human being. He will not be upset that his testicles are gone, because he hasnt got the ability to reason & say to himself: "oh no, what will I do without my ta-ta's?" You're projecting your feelings onto him because of how YOU personally feel. Do right by your dog & your family, & have him nuetered. The health benefits to your dog are NUMEROUS in having him neutered, as well as calming him down.

As for your "proof"? Read what's been suggested to you here, & asks other dog owners how much it improved their dogs personality. He will have very strong sexual urges that you DO NOT want to have to deal with, especially with a new baby in the house. Have you ever smelled what it smells like after a dog marks their territory? You'll wish you hadnt if he does that, & he just might once the new baby comes home. Please get him fixed asap.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 10:05 AM on Feb. 23, 2011