How do you feel about Freebirthing?

I am sure that this questions has been asked before, but I have yet to come across it and just wanted to know what other mothers thought. In case you don't know this is when a woman prefers to have an unassisted birth. She prefers to have her child at home with her husband or a significant other helping her, but not medical intervention, not even a midwife. I personally don't understand why a woman would, put her life and her child's life at risk like that. Think about how many womane and children use to die in childbirth before we had the advancements we have today.

slick05

Asked by slick05 at 1:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think people should at least have a midwife JMO and I wouldnt make someone do it, its their choice ultimately.

I had my first in just 15 min after my water broke, mind you I was dialated to only 4 when they broke it with no other medical interventions and my second was 4 hrs so I guess I could have done it pretty easily. The fear of the unknows would always have stopped me though

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I'm all for using modern, proven, safe medical practices when there is a real need. We can all agree that modern medicine is a good thing, right? Science is a good thing. However, I don't think birth is an emergency. I had such a terrible experience when I was pregnant, and in labor. I did everything the doctors told me, I was the perfect obedient patient. One thing led to another thing, and soon I was almost dying. I am a perfectly healthy 22 year old woman. I have been sick three times sense I was 12, there was absolutely no reason for me to have been in that situation. The cervidil, pitocin, epidural. Not being able to move, eat, or drink anything for hours. I really believe that was the freaking problem!! I won't have any more children, but if (that is a huge if) I get pregnant again I'm delivering my baby, and I'll maybe visit the doctor for an ultrasound.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 1:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• OOHPFG. So if you would get pregnant again and deliver your baby by yourself wouldn't you be afraid of the what ifs. Like the baby being breech, the umbilicord being wrapped around it's neck to tight and killing it. Or the fact that your uterus my not contract and you could hemorrhage and die. I am not putting you down for your choice I am just trying to understand why someone would take that risk. I know that child birth can be natural and a beautiful experience I just don't understand wanting to take a risk even if it is a small one that could potentially kill you or your baby.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 1:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• i think they are idiots to not have medical assistance especially when some form of midwives have been used almost since women started having babies.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 2:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Why be afraid? It's really such small risks of things happening -- there are much higher risks of giving birth in hospitals -- death from c-sections, infections, etc. If you think I'm making this up, compare the rates of deaths with homebirths, unassisted childbirths, and hospital births.

I'm not suggesting ALL women freebirth -- by no means. Many women have medical conditions, for which they should have medical care. However, in this country we have lost sight of the fact that Birth is NORMAL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• This special that I watched on it, I believe most of these woman didn't even have prenatal care, so they wouldn't know if they had a condition that would warrant them being at risk.  And some once there doctors or midwives found out what they wanted to do they wanted nothing to do with treating giving them prenatal care because they didn't want to be found liable if something went wrong.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 2:08 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I almost died already, in a room full of doctors, and nurses. I hate to be so morbid, but sometimes people die. Thats just what happens. You just have to make an educated decision, and understand what you're doing.

Women can give birth to breech babies vaginally. My grandmother gave birth to my uncle, and he was a footling breech. Babies are born with umbilical cords around their necks all the time, not all of them die. If you are a healthy person, you know your baby is healthy then giving birth isn't dangerous, or an emergency. Bad things can happen in the hospital too.
    OOHPFG

Answer by OOHPFG at 2:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Sorry to say, but a "special" you watch on TV was probably slanted by the medical profession. I doubt that Freebirthing Citizens of America or something similar funded the program with ads :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• You can get an infection anywhere. You can die anywhere. We take a risk crossing the street. You never know when a car going 90 is going to careen out of control and mow you down. If you want to have your baby at home go for it. My granny gave birth to my uncle at home. He was 2 months early...he's 62 years old and more healthy than I am.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:16 AM on Nov. 19, 2008