Anyone know what could have caused my stillborn son to have 12 fingers and 12 toes

My son was born when i was 38 weeks and 6 days pregnant with him. I gave birth to him on february 8th but went to the hospital on february 7th and found he had no heart beat last i felt him kick had been the evening of february 6th. They told us they were sorry and not sure what had caused him to pass away we decided not to have an autopsy because we couldnt stand the though of him being cut open. now i kind of regret not getting one because not knowing what caused his death bothers me. He had low amnitoic fluid and was growth restricted his arms and legs were measuring at 22 weeks and his head and chest were measuring at 33 weeks, even though he was almost 39 weeks. his head was only 28 cm. he had six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot and his toes were webbed, his dads toes are webbed also though. parts of his skin were starting to come off and a big piece of skin on his little nose, he came out looking like his entire face was bruised but the rest of his body was relatively normal colored. Has anyone had experience with this or know any kind of genetic or chromosome disorders that would have caused this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I'm so sorry for your loss, maybe you can go for some genetic counseling through your OB. Just so you know, and I hope it helps you feel better about your decision to deny the autopsy, my friend also had a stillborn at 38 weeks and the autopsy showed "nothing". So I guess they aren't a def answer so it's okay you didn't do it, you did what you felt was right in your heart. (((hugs))) good luck in your search for answers
    3kiddies4me

Answer by 3kiddies4me at 10:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Usually it is a chromosomal defect. I'm sorry but I can not tell you the specifics on what types. That s what the autopsy would have told you. As far as I know the babies like that usually don't make it as far along as yours did which I would take as a good sign that your next babies will be really strong and you did great taking care of this one.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'm sorry for your loss! I hope you find the answers that you need!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• sounds like something genetic, try googling it.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:20 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I am so sorry....but it does sound genetic especially since you said your husband had the webbed fingers too.

Maybe you could get dh to go through some genetic testing and that would give you the answers you are looking for.

It may help you in future pregnancies too.

I dont blame you for not wanting your baby to be autopsied. Dont feel badly....

So sorry...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i have no answers for you hon,but i am truly so sorry for your loss. god bless
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i am so sorry hun i wish i had the answers for you.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I am so so sorry to hear about your loss :( I will give you a bump in hopes someone will be able to help you further!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I'm so sorry for your loss..I wish I had an answer.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Losing a child for any reason is heartbreaking. I hope you heal in time.

Here's what I found by googling six fingers: http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7756

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:01 PM on Feb. 21, 2011