If your child had expressed interest in entering the army or marines or air force (etc.) after he graduates from highschool..which one do you think you'd rather him go into?

My son has expressed interest for a couple years now. He's only 10..mind you so..we've got a lot of time,lol.
But He talks a lot about going to the ARMY and I have been thinking that I'd like to educate myself on all the different things he could enlist into and have a basic knowledge of what is what and which would benefit him the best experience wise to be able to use what he has learned AFTER he's done and out in the world as a civilian looking for a job..or career.
What are your thoughts?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:50 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Air Force. My DH has been active duty air force for 14 years now, and he loves it. The deployments are typically shorter than those in the army, and the quality of life is a little bit better. In my experience, the bases are nicer, housing is nicer, and air force is more family oriented and family friendly. My sister-in-law's husband is Marine, and she had a hard time for quite a while with his frequent deployments and TDY's, and I know how bad the Army CAN be because we are joint base with the Army base next door, so some of my friends and neighbors are Army wives. When your son gets a little bit older, start taking him around to recruiters in your local areas (like 16 years old or so), so he can learn about all his options and make an informed decision. Another route would be to go through the Air Force Academy and complete his schooling there, then go in as an officer. The pay is quite a bit better that way!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:18 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• i hear the airforce offers more. my daughter went through steps to join the navy but changed her mind. good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My husband was in the Navy, he is now an orhotist, thanks to them! My Dad and 3 of my uncles were in the Navy, so I am partial to that branch!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:09 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• From what I've learned speaking to those in the armed forces it's like a totem pole... The highest on the pole being the Airforce, then the Marines, then the Navy, and then the Army... That's what I've gathered so far. Our 14 yr old son wants to go into the military, but we're not pushing it. We do hope he chooses a path, whether it's furthering his education through college, or the military...

Probably not the best analogy, but it helped me understand it..( I do NOT want him to go in the Army... )
    Anonymous

• Oh and my 13 year old son has already expressed interest in joining by going through the Air Force Academy to get his education, then joining as officer. He's got a great plan going!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:19 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• We are Air Force all the way.Hubby was in for 4 years,oldest son retired at 38 and now works for Homeland Security,and Grandaughter has been in for about 6 or 7 years.Hubby was Air rescue,son was Ammo,Grandaughter is a hydrolics specialist.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 11:42 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I am a military brat...my Uncle is a Navy S.E.A.L., my G-grandpa was in the Navy, he was one of the men who was on the USS Constitution, a long time ago, other Uncle was in the Airforce, your child already seems to have a good head on his shoulders! Congratulations!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:29 AM on Feb. 22, 2011

• I trust my daughter to make an informed decision. Whichever one she wanted to.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:52 PM on Feb. 21, 2011