Join an existing team or create my own?

I plan to walk the Susan Komen in October in Atlanta, Ga.

I have four others who have agreed to walk with me if nothing fails (if all goes well for them and they can show up).

I WILL walk this year, with or without them.

There is an existing team in my area I may be able to become apart of.

Should I join an existing team and see if they will also accept my friends (they may not want to accept them since they do not live in the same town and they are about an hour away - two of them - the two most committed ones), or stick with creating my own group and walk together even if everyone doesn't show up?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 2:05 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Good luck in whatever you decide. There is no downside.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:43 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• How long to you figure you can hold out before joining the other team?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• I live in Atlanta. I'm not walking in October, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for those of you who are!
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 3:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Have you inquired about being accepted as part of the walk? Do you meet all the criteria, including the donation $$$$ needed? In my area, this is a highly coveted event and only certain people/groups are accepted. I know the team from my unit, trains and fund raises all year long for this race- (I am assuming you are talking about the 3 day, 60 miler).

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Most likely right up until the end.... but I think I might try to contact them and make sure just in case they charge to join or anything.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Thanks tinamatt! :) And feel free to join any of the fundraising events I may host!
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Yes Sister I have inquired and received information. The walk is open to anyone who wants to partake in it. As a group you do have to raise funds... but that is the reason I am trying to figure out NOW (earlier rather than later) if I am going to join someone else's team or continue on with my own and my own efforts to raise funds, etc.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Feb. 22, 2011