How can I get my toddler to WALK?

Hey moms, my 2 yo son always wants to be carried. The kid is getting heavy, and due to a neck injury, my neck and shoulder can't take it! I try to get him to walk & hold my hand (like when walking into the grocery store, walking up to a friend's house, etc) but he always wants to be held. Even to the point of laying down on the ground to where I HAVE to pick him up. A stroller won't work... suggestions? He's a stubborn little guy.

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 2:10 PM on Feb. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he doesnt walk he doesnt go. if they dont want to walk if you have someone with you make him sit in the car. tell him he cant go in wih you unless he walks. if you have someone to watch him while you do what you have to do tell him he cant go he has to stay with so and so becuz he wont walk. when he wants to be a big boy he can go
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Have you thought about making it a game like a race? Or jump all the way there? Or count? Or galloping like a horse?
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 2:12 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• They have to see that they have to walk. If you always give in and pick him up he has no reason to get up himself. He will figure it out. Just be strong.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• My son is 2 and has been acting up a bit when we go out too. My plan of action is to stay firm and I guess show him who's boss. He's not going to be happy but soon he will get used to how you want things done. Stay firm and stand your ground to avoid bigger problems in the future.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Dont give in...he doesnt want to walk then he doesnt go. let him cry it out and throw a fit if he wants but dont give in to him. He knows that if he throws a fit then YOU will pick him up. Good luck.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 2:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• Like the other Mom's have said, if he won't do it on his own, he stays put. My daughter is a 40 lb 4 year old that STILL wants to be held and carried. She's just plain too heavy for me to carry her anymore. She started her "terrible two's" at 16 months old and hasn't really stopped yet.

There was a time we were in a store with the hard linoleum floors. I think she had just turned 3. She wanted me to carry her for whatever reason, and I didn't want to for whatever reason. She laid down, stretched out on the floor and just looked at me. I stepped over her and kept on walking. After I turned the corner she got up and came running after me. After doing that just a couple of times she's learned that when Mom says No that means NO. Now when she wants to be carried and I say no she just pouts and whines, but still walks right near me.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:30 PM on Feb. 21, 2011

• *NOTE: I don't ever walk far enough away, in a store, to completely lose sight of my child. If we're out as a family (hubby, me, son and daughter) hubby will place himself around an end of an aisle where he can still see her while I just keep walking away. If I'm alone I'll turn the corner then peek around it until she gets up and follows.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:33 PM on Feb. 21, 2011