do your parents?

okay so my parents always tell me that i never feed my child enough.
they tell me my house is never clean enough.
and they hate my cat and which that i would get rid of it.
and that i dont feed my dog hence why she's not fat!
okay how do i go bout telling my parents that they need to quit without disrespecting them?
i really wish they would quit. then they tell me that it might be better if they kept my son.
because i dont feed him enough. okay how do they know their not around my son and i 24/7.. uhhg

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Nov. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• You just need to tell your parents flat out that they need to butt out. It's none of their business and if they want to have a child to take care of again they need to have another one. Sometimes to get through to people you need to be blunt and even rude. It doesn't sound like your family is caring if they are rude or not. You can also tell them you love them and appreciate their concern, but you feel like you're doing just fine and if you want advice you'll ask them but until then please stay out of it.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 1:23 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I know this wont make sense, but trust me: your parents are saying those things as an expression of theie love for you! It's just making conversation. So take charge and change the subject. be respectful and loving, smile, agree, acknowledge, and do not defend. "it is what it is". and move on to a more peaceful topic to get off the heat.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 1:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• it makes me cry sometimes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• THATS MY MOM, I TOLD HER WHEN SHE PAYS MY BILLS SHE CAN DO WHAT SHE WANT WITH MY HOUSE. I THINK ITS A PARENT THING, THEY JUST WANT YOU TO STILL BE THERE BABY. THERE ALWAYS GOING TO BE SOMETHING WRONG BUT AS LONG AS YOUR HAPPY JUST LET THEM KNOW THAT.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I know exactly what you mean because I go threw the samething with my parents and especially my stepmom and mil they but in to much into my business even though i dont liek with them its very annoying i seriously feel like telling them to mind there own business because there not supporting me! when they do come visit it feels like i'm going threw a major survey like my stepmom is a detective or something she always asks me hundreds of questions and its extremely annoying, she always has something negative to say also. like last time she was here she tells me gosh why dont u clean your black shelves there very dirty and youre always here you have alot of time to clean them and i really wanted to say well thats why i dont invite anybody so they wont be critizing me or my house. but shes the type where shell cry if i tell her something so its totally not fair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• They are disrespecting you so I would just say it. "Guys this is my house, my pets and my son and I will take care of them"
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 7:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• The next time they criticize or put you down - ask them why they are putting you down criticizing you? Tell them it is upsetting especially because you do everything and anyhting for your son and they constantly put you down.

If they dont see this or just continue cut them out of your life. Its not worth your heartache.

I hate parents sometimes - they dont know the effect they can have on their children and dont realize that the even the littlest thing can be damaging. I am sorry you have to deal with this :(
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:17 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• And I dont believe its a parent thing - my dad would never criticize my parenitng or me...because he KNOWS i would do the best for my children.
    keyaziz

• You need to tell your parents to back off or they are not going to be allowed to see their grandchild.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2008

• Hmmm, these are the parents that raised you, yes? You should ask them - since they think that you are an unfit parent and they should be raising your son, what makes them so qualified to do so since they so obviously screwed up when raising you (from whom, after all, did you learn to be a parent?)? I mean, dang!, don't your parents realize that by criticizing you as a parent they are criticizing themselves and their own parenting skills (or lack thereof)? After pointing out the obvious, I would thank them for their misplaced concern and ask that they not come back until they can be more respectful to you & your family. Otherwise, the abuse will just continue.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2008